View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
Jeebs
Grade 1

Homegrown software?

Periodically, I enjoy dabbling with Microsoft Excel. One of the first Excel projects that I did was in conjunction with Ray Baker (Raybo over at PaceAdvantage). It took a lot of practice (and assistance from the techies on the MrExcel forum!) But I was able to create a spreadsheet that automated the steps taken in Brohamer's MPH book. Eventually, other spreadsheets such as a Chart Converter and a Quirin Figure Maker were born. When Raybo moved onto AllData, so did I, incorporating many of my own creations into the sheet, or removing some of his stuff to fit what I wanted.

Eventually, I gravitated towards the DOS version of MPH, which eventually led me to RDSS in 2013, which I have subscribed to on and off. Since my play is more or less part time now, I found that it made little sense for me to dive into a subscription. However, I wanted to try and replicate the RDSS format as much as I possibly could.

Enter Excel.

With my new Excel sheet, I type in the Race distance/surface horses Brisnet E1, E2 and FT figure. I use Brisnet because you can find PPs online for free on certain websites or get a credit when wagering off Twinspires. Inputting the figs spits a hypothetical time equivalent for that horse's race. It then crunches velocities, PMTR, basic Sartin formulas and (admittedly) my best guess of formulas not in the public domain based on "reading between the lines" of Follow-Ups and P&C posts. I even replicated the perceptor and BL/BL. It's not close to the power and technology of RDSS, but it comes close enough for me where it is effective for my own private use.

Has anyone else undertaken homegrown programs over the years? How did you find the experience? It fascinates me because of the work and detail involved. It isn't something that can be simply done In one day. You learn from experience. In the end, I get satisfaction for having put in the sweat equity to build something that is for my own use.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote