View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #8
The Pook
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
The best thing to do is to INSERT new lines of data at row 3 (the initial row). This accomplishes 2 things:

1. data is collected naturally in reverse chronological order (most recent races at the top)

2. more important - when you INSERT new rows within existing ranges which are used in cell formulas (i.e. all formulas in the Stats block), Excel automatically updates the formulas to a new range size and thus the formulas reflect data within the new range.

Conversely, when you insert rows which do not affect a formula (i.e. if you inserted/appended new rows after the initial blank rows above the stats block, or below the stats block) Excel has no changes to make to any existing formulas, thus the Stats block continues to reflect only the data within the existing range.

As Bill L shows, check the formula for any Count or other cell in the stats block, noting the range used (initially Row 3 - row 20 e.g. Q3:Q20). INSERT a single row at row 2 (right-click on the row # at the left edge and choose INSERT from the menu). Now notice that ALL formulas are updated to reflect an extra row: e.g. Q3:Q21).

There are MUCH better ways to collect stats (in addition to paper and pencil ) and with some others who have offered help, I hope to present this year a new Master Template layout which resembles the Analysis tabs layout and which you can filter by finish position (e.g. Win, Place), distance range, surface, race type, etc. Also hopefully inserted automatically by RDSS into a specified Model sheet.

Meanwhile, the one we've got ...

Hope this helps!

Ted
Okay I got it to work. But now (and I can't find an clear answer on line) when I filter the data, the count info reflects the entire database. Eg. when I filter all the races to just show 6F, the count and count percentages don't update to just those races.

Thanks
Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote