View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #30
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Discontinuing work on Synergism/RDSS

Here is an update on the RDSS2 to Synergism export project.

The poll at the top of this thread asked who was interested in using RDSS to export data to Synergism, if you did not already use RDSS. Presuming everyone understood the poll question, I interpreted that to indicate that 15 respondants said they would subscribe to RDSS if they could use it to export data for use in Synergism 2 or 3 - and that it would be worth my time (and valuable to many people) to do that work.

Subsequently, I did spend a significant amount of time adding the first part that module (i.e. Syn2) to RDSS, and publishing a new update for testing (and delayed work on other RDSS components by the same amount of time).

After waiting what I thought was a reasonable amount of time for feedback and for at least some of those 15 poll respondents to step up - I can report that precisely 1 new person has subscribed to RDSS to get the Syn2 export. To the best of my knowledge, no one else has even asked to try the RDSS Evaluation for the primary purpose of evaluating the Syn2 export.

To say the least, the response has been underwhelming - and disappointing re the time lost on my part.

I conclude that either most of the poll respondents were not serious, or they do not really use Synergism, or based on some posted comments they have determined that RDSS does just as good a job as Synergism and perhaps one day will get around to RDSS (or did get around to it and didn't say they responded in the Synergism poll). Perhaps some people who already use RDSS responded in the poll - which is not what the poll asked.

Setting aside the data export of running times pre-adjusted by RDSS - the raw time export from RDSS is identical to the data input you must do by hand in Synergism2. You still must do setup times and track records for adjustments made in Syn2, if you intend to use Syn2 as described by Bob Purdy and Doc Sartin.

Unless I get some further serious interest in this module, I won't be continuing work on it. The existing Syn2 data format export will always remain. If the one person who subscribed expecting more future Synergism-related components in RDSS would like a refund, please just write to me.

Best of luck and skill to those using Synergism, and/or RDSS!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 10-18-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote