View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
PeteC
Grade 1

Thanks, Turbulator, I did. I agree that s/r r/s is a tricky area. For me, route to sprint especially. I will give you a few of my thoughts from my experience, but I hope the others who are more qualified to respond will chime in. I would love to learn more about this area too.

Anyway, I don't find this spot pay as often as I would like A few of the reasons (I think) are:

1) I will find multiple sprinters stretching out who are closely matched at the 6f and in my mind, cancel each other's advantage. I end up passing a race like this.

2) The qualifier that the horse is stretching out for the first time. If I see a horse who is stretching out today,but has previous routes, I typically match him off the route lines.

3) The qualifier that the horse does not fade in his sprint (from the match-up book). I typically discount fast sprinters stretching out if the positinal pattern in the sprint is something like 1-1-1-2 or 2-2-2-4, even if the 6f time is 3-5 ticks faster than the routers. The presence of a horse like this often steers me to an OTE call for today's route though.

These 3 limit the number of spot plays that I find. At this point, I'm focusing on the few patterns that I see, while practicing other races and learning along with everyone else here from the masters.