View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
Mitch44
Grade 1

navyvet1994;

It is Sartin who says to stay within 1 furlong and it has been his teaching going back to the 80's. Once you go more than a furlong( + or -) it effects how races are run. Generally the shorter the race the more speed is involved. E.g. put a 1 1/16 line into the program for a 1 1/4 or 1 3/16 race and that horse will most likely come up on top because 1/1/16 races are run faster, but can it carry that speed that extra distance? Most likely not. A horse going from a 1 1/16 to 7F will be facing a much stiffer pace. Can it keep up ?

Sartin; " its always safer to extract than to project" because the horse has proven what it can do, when projecting a sprinter to a route your dealing with an unknown while extracting a router to a sprint it early speed potential has been demonstrated. Generally few routers can sprint but it does happen.

Generally ballpark Sartin used 2/5 per call as a difference. I.e if a routers internal 6F time is 112:80 his projected 6 F time is 111.60 (minus 6/5th) If facing horses running 1:10 etc. its a toss as he's roughly slow by 8 lengths.This really is done within the program in a more refined and proficient manner than using fifths. Using fifths is just a down and dirty ,fast visual method that was used early by Sartin ,not as accurate as Sartin put in his programs but close and proven from over 50,000 races.

Races are carded at various distances because every horse has a best distance. A horse that can win at 6F can't win at 6.5 of the same class because of its best distance which is determined by its deceleration and where that deceleration takes place.

I have been interchanging 7F and 8F lines for years without a problem. I attempt to stay within 1/2 F but never more than 1 F because of the deceleration factor and a horses best distance. In many cases your forced to use what's there or consider it an unknown. The Bradshaw concept / rule of " you have to use what you have" frequently comes into play in regards to selecting lines.

With experience many of these issues solve themselves. Extractions and projections are frequently encountered and must be dealt with or pass those races. Just a typical
everyday occurrence. Its only a problem if you perceive it to be a problem.

Sticking with Sartin's guidelines for selecting pace lines which have been tested and proven from over 50,000 races will serve you well.

All races under 8F are considered sprints to include 7.5 F and anything over 8F is considered a route. However within those structures there is a huge difference between a 5.5 F line and a 7 F line or a 1 1/16 and a 1 3/8.

I'm from the camp that adjustments can be made and some I can just do in my head plus I use other Sartin stuff that has been proven over time. Even many sprinters can be projected and others tossed from the tools within the program.

Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 10-14-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote