View Single Post
Old 10-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #5
Mitch44
Grade 1

Hi Tim,

A couple of ways to handle this:

1. Ray Taulbot always deducted 7 points from the Speed Rating for tracks that run out of a chute or straight along the backstretch thus eliminating two turns. And tracks where 1 turn is eliminated subtract 3 points, such as in GP today and Sar of yesteryear.

2. The best way for a more accurate adjustment would be to use the 3 year best times to compare the two tracks you have in question.
This is much better than Taulbot's old ways that he used to develop variants.

The 3 year best time comparison would account for that dogleg you mention Tim along with other track differences such as banking etc. A much better mousetrap indeed.

Many may not know this but Bradshaw did make adjustments while doing the match up. This was discussed at a seminar and the advantage of going to a seminar. All part of his Voodoo Magic. He compared differences in tracks (to answer all the topics being discussed here) by using the speed rating to determine the track record. If a horse gets a SR of 80 finishing in 111.00 than the track record is 1:09.00. He than compared that to today's track record at the top of the PP's in the conditions of the race or doing the same procedure for the track where the majority of horses ran for a comparison. In fact by doing this its current and one does not have to wait till the end of the year for the 3 yr. best times to be updated. Matcher's should pay attention to this.

As I said all these adjustments are handled within the program. I only use some of this stuff when doing races on the fly. Trust the program.

Ted could elaborate more than I on the program as to how some of these things are handles, such as tract to track adjustments as tracks to vary which does effect time, along with adjustments for stretch outs and cutback horses.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote