View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
The Pook
Grade 1

Well I guess I better chime in since I am running the paceless race experiment.

I would offer that there is no such thing as a paceless race. There will be a pace however reluctant. Qualifying these races as paceless involves a quick scan of first fractions for 1's. That means that no horse has been on a lead at the first call in any race in their PP's. (One ancient 1st for one horse is acceptable). This puts the race in the ballpark of what we are looking for. We can't see further back where there may in fact be some early action. But this is what we have.

With this we are involved in the creme de la creme of possible paceless races. Sometimes somebody steps up and wires. Many times somebody steps up and fails providing cover for those in their comfortable positions. There are other races with certain subtleties that could also be considered as this type of race. But I haven't the desire in this experiment to hunt them out.

When a horse runs again who wired a paceless race field I don't think you could consider him early based on one event. The odds of him entering another similar race type are low. Mostly all races have early pace evident in the PP's.

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote