View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
Houndog
Grade 1

European Connections

I look at connections when I am trying to evaluate Euro shippers. Also as has been pointed out Pro-Ride was a determining factor for many more European horses shipping in. As Richie pointed out this will happen again next year.

Connections BC Mile Race 4. – Goldikova – Trained by Freddy Head. He was the jockey on both of Miesque’s BC Mile wins. He comes back as the trainer and Freddy Head has compared Goldikova to Miesque. I find that European horsemen tend to be more candid when evaluating the chances of their charges. This is my impression anyhow. Owner and Breeder Wertheimer and Frere. The Wertheimer brothers won the 1993 Breeders Cup Turf with Kotashann and the 2003 BC Juvenile fillies with Halfbridled.

BC Race 5 – Midshipman – Owner Darley Stable (Sheikh Mohammed) ruler of Dubai.

BC Race 6 – Donativum – Trainer John Gosden. Owner – H.R.H Princess Haya of Jordan and Darley Stable. Dettori the jockey. Westphalia – Owner – Mrs John Magnier. Trainer – Aidan O’Brien. In all reality owned by John Magnier who is said to be the most influential man in horseracing and breeding worldwide even over Sheik Mohammed bi Rashid Al Maktoum. His business associates include Derrick Smith and Michael Tabor. His wife is the daughter of Vincent O’Brien legendary Irish trainer.

BC Race 8 – Conduit - Trainer Sir Michael Stoute – He has won 4 BC races. And with Conduit this particular race 3 times.(Pilsudski 1996 and Kalanisi 2000) Owner and Breeder – Ballymacoll Farm. An excerpt :

Racing Career: Since it's purchase in 1960, 27 individual winners of Group 1 races (including two Breeders' Cup champions and three British classic winners), who were successful in 48 Group 1 events have been bred at Ballymacoll. Going back to 1957, the legendary steeplechaser, Arkle, was born at Ballymacoll. The best products of the stud include Troy (winner of the 1979 Derby, Irish Derby, King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes and Benson and Hedges Gold Cup), Sun Princess (1983 Oaks and St Leger), Admetus (1974 Washington International), Prince of Dance (1988 Dewhurst Stakes), Pilsudski (1996 Breeders' Cup Turf, Grosser Preis von Baden, 1997 Champion Stakes, Japan Cup, Eclipse and Irish Champion Stakes), Golan (2001 2,000 Guineas, 2002 King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes), Islington (Yorkshire Oaks 2002 and 2003, Nassau Stakes 2002, Breeders Cup Filly & Mare Turf 2003) and North Light (2004 Epsom Derby

Ballymacoll Stud is a 300 acre farm originally owned by Dorothy Paget, which, along with its stock of over 100 horses, was sold by her to Lord Weinstock and his father-in law Sir Michael Sobell in 1960 for £250,000 ... Sobell was a self-made television tycoon who was involved with the stud until his death at the age of 100 in September 1993. Lord Arnold Weinstock had a 33-year career as a director and chairman of the General Electric Company (GEC) before his death in July 2002. Since then the stud has been run by Weinstock's executors on behalf of his family and has been a stand-alone operation having to fund itself and not make a loss ... Peter Reynolds has been the stud manager for the past 35 years. His daughter Liz Reynolds is an instrumental part of American bloodstock agency Paramount Sales headed by Pat Costello and Gabriel Duignan in Kentucky

Eagle Mountain – Trainer – Michael de Kock – South Africa’s leading trainer. The growing popularity of the Dubai Racing Carnival on his doorstep prompted Sheikh Mohammed in 2006 to expand his operation to Dubai and Mike de Kock was recommended as a trainer to support him. They met with Mike and Mohammed Khaleel visited South African on the Sheikh’s behalf and liked it.

BC Race 9 (Classic) –Raven’s Pass – Owner – H.R.H Princess Haya of Jordan and Darley Stable. Trainer John Gosden Jockey- Dettori.

Henrythenavigator – Owner- Mrs John Mangnier. Trainer –Aidan O’Brien. (See BC Race #6).

Breeder’s Cup Races 6, 8, and 9 had some decent exacta’s. Races 6 & 9 the top 2 finishers had the same connections. This does not suggest this will happen next year, but in the absence of any pacelines I use the information that I do have available which also includes their performances and also Timeform Ratings. Of course you can always pass these races, and it is true that certain years the European horses in the BC races have not performed as well. In any case I think the European horsemen view the Pro-Ride surface favorably and I expect them to enter more horses next year. Other than Curlin in the Classic I think many of the U.S. Based horses were severely overmatched in several of the BC races.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote