View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 06:30 AM   #7
Lt1
Grade 1

Hi John. Bill is spot on when he states that there are several different ways to select pacelines. I myself use best of the last 3 perceptor at a comparable surface and distance. I don't use off track lines on fast tracks but that's just my way of doing things. As far as how far to go back on a horse I let the class of the race determine that. I find it's advisable to stay very recent with cheaper horses but I'm more forgiving with better horses. Generally speaking I usually end up with a line in the last 3 races and not more then 5 back since you then have to wonder if the horse is the same horse now. One thing to always do is to check the last line since it is the best indication of the horses' form but not always the line to use. Even a horse that was outclassed or on the wrong surface in that race should show something in the race such as early speed, beat half the field etc. To sum up as the others here have stated you must decide which method of paceline selection you are most comfortable with and works for you.
Tim G