View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #17
Ted Craven
Grade 1

'Problem During Convert' error message

The following Data Centre Error Message during Convert is in the RDSS FAQ section (HERE) though some people do not think to look there for help when it occurs. Since about 75% of the tech support I do recently relates to this one problem, I am repeating it here for convenience, with an explanation following.

This means a problem with your TrackMaster account, not with the card file mentioned or with the Convert process. (Please read further, below).

Name:  RDSS_ErrorMessage05292015_4.jpg
Views: 2904
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  RDSS_ErrorMessage05292015_5.jpg
Views: 2836
Size:  42.2 KB

Since TrackMaster's website upgrade a few months ago, the error messages TrackMaster reports when something goes wrong while downloading data files (all TrackMaster products, not just RDSS) are now being incorrectly interpreted by the current RDSS version (which is about 2 years old). Thus, that version of RDSS cannot now give a correct message to help you solve the problem - instead it basically throws its hands up and says 'there's some kind of problem with a specific file, but I don't know what it is'. That's because RDSS couldn't figure out that the file is NOT a data file but rather an HTML error message file with useful info about the problem.

Here are the types of problems it could be - all solvable by the user:
1. Your TrackMaster User Name is incorrect (as specified in the RDSS Registration Tab)
2. Your TrackMaster Password is incorrect (ditto above)
3. You don't have ANY RDSS data plan (new users)
4. The type of RDSS data plan you selected in the Registration Tab (PP Only or Bundle) does not exist on your TrackMaster account.
5. The selected RDSS plan DOES exist but is set to INACTIVE
6. Your credit card has expired or changed, or was declined (often happens after the end of the month, or after resuming downloads after a break)
7. Some other (highly unusual) unavailability of the requested card file
The way to solve ANY and ALL of these problems - if you ever get the error message shown above, it to login to your TrackMaster account, using the friendly link on the RDSS Registration Tab (or HERE) and correct anything from points 3 - 6 above. Obviously, if your TrackMaster User Name/Password combo is incorrect you can't login to your account (and neither can RDSS). After you fix that (or call TrackMaster for help 1 800 321-3343), you're likely back in business.

If none of points 1 - 6 is the problem (i.e. maybe point #7), wait a few moments then try again, or call TrackMaster for assistance. Or email or PM me. BUT - please read the next paragraph.

Please Note: to re-download a data file after correcting any of the above issues, YOU MUST uncheck the Don't Duplicate box in the Task section which otherwise causes RDSS to skip over Tasks it thinks it has already done before. You must force RDSS to re-download a correct race card ZIP file (rather than a misnamed HTML error message). When you are done, remember to re-check it again (the normal state).

Also: if you have changed (or corrected a mistaken) Password - be sure to RE-START RDSS so that the changed/new Password takes effect throughout the software before you try to Download again.

(FWIW, if anyone wants to read the error file (mislabeled as a ZIP file for a specific card), just navigate to the card file Archive Folder (\Rdss2\Data\PP\2015\XXX [track code]) and find the file with the date in question. Change the file extension from ZIP to HTML. Then open it as a web page and read it to get the error message RDSS couldn't interpret.)

I am working to fix RDSS' Data Centre error processing routines and TrackMaster is helping me make sure I've covered all possible error circumstances. This will be included in the next RDSS 2.1 release in a few months. Until then, the above points will help you figure it out.

If it's all too much, you are welcomed to PM or email me and I will help you.

Thanks for reading!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 01-09-2016 at 03:32 PM.