View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
socantra
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsnut View Post
Hopefully this post will help some that have questions about race shape, running styles etc. It may confuse some as well.
I'd be happy to answer whatever question anyone might have.
I use PaceAppraiser and the BRIS PP Generator.
Nice display Partsnut. I'm looking forward to the day that Randy gets his past performances going. I'm hoping that he has enough in there that I can use them as a stand alone.

People should probably be aware that Randy uses visual, positional running styles. There is nothing wrong with that. Jim Bradshaw used them, Tom Brohammer, Jim Craner and any number of other people.

Tim is right about them being very subjective. Every person I know of that uses visual running styles defines them differently and uses them for slightly different purposes. They do not mix and match well. Make sure you understand the particular flavor you are dealing with.

The lattler day Sartin Methodology running styles are defined by how the horse distributes its energy during the race, originally taken from various percentages of %Early. I suppose they probably use %Median now. They do have the advantage of being largely hidden from the general public, since they are generated by the software.

No matter what you use, its going to steer you wrong a fair percntage of the time and be a great help a fair percentage of the time. I use both Randy Giles visual position running styles and Sartin energy distribution styles. When they disagree I feel I have some extra information and a decision to make. Learn your tools well.

Dick.