View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty73 View Post
I found it in Issue #77 page 31 -
Thanks Ted for the quick reply and welcome back!
Smitty
From that readout, the TPV column refers to a measurement of Total (Pace?) Velocity and the TDC column refers to Total Deceleration. The numbers underlying these ranks are blended, along with Total Energy (TOT) resulting in Velocity relative to Deceleration (V/DC) - a relative measure (each horse relative to the others) of how little the horse was slowing down ('decelerating') segment by segment relative to how fast ('velocity') it was going. Horses travelling slower (lower velocity) slow down less (lower deceleration), which is why there is usually a strong inverse correlation on the RDSS Velocity screen between Second Call velocity (the default sort) and DCL (simple deceleration from the 2nd call point through the final fraction). So - high ranks in DCL are not necessarily any 'prize' - we want a horse with strong ability (at least measured by velocity) to lead or chase at the 2nd call who can best maintain that rate of travel to the finish line - relative to all the rest!

Deceleration relative to Velocity, or if you stand on your head: Velocity relative to Deceleration

On that early Validator 2001 readout screen, I think the separate Velocity and Deceleration ranks don't stand well on their own - they need to be stated as a blend, including with Total Energy, which is what the final VDC rank shows. Which is why I think Doc later removed those intermediate components and just went with V/DC - the number that really matters (well, along with price/odds).

Doc told me when he was looking at the early RDSS (impishly, I think) that I should just have ONE screen that boiled it all down so people would not be confused. I'm still working on that advice ...

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote