View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Dave, well, hitting the LA Derby winner at $220 Win and $491 Exacta always helps Seriously, that's what put me up there, then I frittered away the lead and finished 2nd or 3rd, can't remember.

I'll try to find races where there are unexpected Lone or dominant Early horses which the public believes is out-classed, or recently out-run (see the RDSS2 Teaching Forum for some good examples of this money-maker).

I'll work the mandatory Stakes prep races, since I'm, also working most of them already in the PAIHL Team contest. But I find no shame in putting a $2.00 Win or Place bet on those mandatory races (and baby 3 YO races, at that) which I find either inscrutable or where there seems to be a dominating low-priced favourite: just need to check off the mandatories sometimes.

That said, sometimes the public goes off on a tangent on 'star' 3 YOs, due to their trainer, or their stellar 2 YO season, leaving lots of opportunity on other horses who have yet to demonstrate their improvement, but whose races signal at least something in the offing. These you have to look out for and save some bullets to take a plunge (and yes, lose some, but pocket some nice change occasionally).

After that, with 6 weeks and 5 races per week all that's needed, I'll look for older Stakes races (which I generally do well with, using RDSS) and older dirt sprints where I also seem to have a good track record.

However - things will probably NOT turn out as planned - LOL! Sometimes it's just serendipity where a nice hit comes from, and I fully expect that a good portion of my plays will either run out, or pay $8 - $10 mutuels and $20 - $30 exactas. I am just not a 'swing for the fences' type of bettor (except when free money is offered on great Tandem reversals ).

Good luck Dave!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote