Thread: Bugs List!
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #56
Ted Craven
Grade 1

FWIW, re crashes - and previously discussed (somewhere, sometime):

I'm pretty confident my solution to most crashes is 3-fold:

1. migrate my software tools (PowerBuilder) to a new 64 bit capable version. This should give more internal memory to address. Right now, RDSS is a 32-bit program which can run on either older 32 bit Windows versions, or newer 64 bit versions (e.g. Windows 10). Next 3 months or so.

2. Implement parallel/background processing (need to do #1 above first). Then regardless of improved 64-bit memory management, RDSS would open possible multiple invisible background sessions with full memory to compile a single race (or card or batch of say 10 races) just as if you manually opened multiple instances of RDSS to do the same thing, only more efficient. You could still open multiple instances of RDSS if you wanted to, to organize your work. But this would be the more seamless approach. It would allow you to Assemble ALL races for all cards you Download and Convert on the Data Centre right at the same time (e.g. overnight or long coffee break).

I know this works because multiple RDSS instances work. The best schedule I can give for the forgoing is sometime this year. I want desperately to be able to do what I describe above. I want RDSS to Assemble all 300+ races for a weekend on an automated schedule (say after 7am ET when ProfitLine is available), then follow some criteria to search for things based on what it can find AFTER having Assembled races (e.g. vulnerable favourites, too much contention, top heavy Early pace, lone Earlies, no Earlies, Rx rank 1 beats Rx rank 2 by a certain percentage, many other criteria, etc).

3. More detailed debugging of existing code as to where internal memory leaks away (a progammer's favourite pastime, second to tearing one's hair out while cursing at the computer screen ).

Hope that gives more perspective on crashing. I admit it is an annoyance and hindrance which makes RDSS less useful - especially when on the verge of placing a wager at 0 MTP. I am sorry about that .

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote