Thread: AOdds Gold
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 05:50 PM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelyingthief View Post
Seems that's the prevalent attitude here, i got it,. But doing it with a preposterously moral overtone? Very, very political, and comically so.

thanks.
Thief -

Feel free to clarify what you mean by this, but in a factual and non-editorial manner, if you don't mind (otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about).

Some facts: since the beginning of this site, we have NEVER condoned public sharing of any of Sartin's older software. I know it goes on behind the scenes, and I do not stress about that. The policy stems from respecting copyright. (I don't want people to share RDSS either). So, that policy is consistent. If you are challenging that policy, well, feel free to (but I won't change it).

The exception has also always been - if you can prove you bought an older program from Sartin (or Bradshaw) - e.g. have an original disk, a receipt, etc - then if someone has a copy they can help you out (e.g. you send your disk, you get a digital copy or a working disk, whatever). That policy won't change either.

We have a Classic Sartin Programs Forum to help people get their older programs working, if possible. People asked if automated export of data from RDSS to older programs was possible, and yes it was/is.

So, I don't think the case can reasonably be made that we don't support older Sartin programs as best we can, within chosen boundaries. Several others on this site like to use older programs they have owned, and ask for help with them and how they can recover their defunct programs. Some also use RDSS, some do not. They are not second class members here.

Hyperbole doesn't work as well as some people think it does, and the owners of this site do try to stay away from language like that. Some users of RDSS think it is the 'best thing since sliced bread' and are not shy of expressing their opinions (as I take it, neither are you). They speak for themselves (and with my gratitude for their enthusiasm and mentoring work). I myself could care less if you use RDSS.

You could probably get what you want (Aodds) if you just persisted and waited for someone no longer using theirs to provide it to you (either giving it to you privately, or publicly by someone who believed in our above-noted policy asking for the proof of ownership I mentioned above). Or you can try stomping your feet and huffing and puffing.

But unless you can elaborate on what's bugging you about the 'prevalent attitude' around here or 'moral overtone' or 'very ... political' and 'comical' - well, as I said, I for one have no idea what you're talking about.

Next race ...

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote