View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
is Synergism bringing to the table something that RDSS is currently incapable of doing?
Jake
Jake, in a word, and in my opinion - NO.

I made the Synergism export (and still working on it) because some people are familiar and comfortable with it, and would like to use the program they perhaps came to the Methodology with, or remembered being quite successful with but just can't manage doing all the data entry to use it regularly. Most of those people (those who signed the Poll saying they did not use RDSS but might if it exported to Synergism) are unfamiliar with the power of RDSS, and its own adjustment set. Perhaps they will become more familiar - and satisfied - in the course of using it initially as a source of SYnergism data exports.

Dr Sartin billed Synergism as the last velocity program, and 'on the cusp of Energy', and indeed the Energy style programs of the late 80's and early 90s (Energy!, Kgen, Thoromation) were where the Methodology evolved (deceleration, incremental energy exertion). That evolution culminated over the 1990s with a fusion of Energy and velocity programs in Synthesis and Validator, which along with Speculator are the direct forbears of RDSS. SO RDSS has the velocity compound factors, the dream race, but also deceleration and incremental energy disbursement (V/DC), as well as the Pace makes the Race style ratings and Early/Late differential, and the weighted lines score which is BL/BL. In short - it is the combination of much of what went before - and it makes use of an industry standard and publicly maintained set of adjustments (from Equibase/TrackMaster). Plus, model making tools, plus tote board integration, plus form cycle analysis, plus info to help analyse First Time Starters, plus maintaining portfolios of race types for focusing on your strengths (My Races).

I believe Synergism is still a fine program, as are all the older programs. If people are comfortable with them and successful, they should use them. If RDSS can enable them to continue to make use of what is familiar and successful (Synergism, Energy, Kgen, Thoromation) then I am happy to be of service.

But RDSS is not lacking anything that these programs provide. In my opinion

Hope that helps,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote