View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
mick
Abiding Student

Several years ago, before his final illness, Bill contacted me about writing a book. He knew I had written several and asked for my help. I told him I would be glad to read what he wrote and offer comments and constructive criticism.

He wanted to tell the story of his relationship with Doc Sartin and of his friendship with RitchieP and others at the Meadowlands where they had gathered. He wanted to write it as a novel and I suggested that he first write a factual narrative of events. It's much easier to simply write down your recollections. He insisted that it had to be a novel though and after I read a couple of chapters, I realized why. While he had dealt with and largely overcome the emotional and psychological issues he mentioned in his post, the flesh, so to speak, was still too raw and tender. Writing the story as a novel would help him keep it at arm's length.

I think he sent me three chapters which I read and commented on before they stopped coming. What he shared with me was okay and certainly pretty good for someone trying it for the first time. Writing is hard work though and I've always assumed the wind just went out of his sails. Either that or he had begun to suffer from the health issues that eventually took his life and the energy and strength required were no longer there.

Frankly, I wish he had been able to carry on and write his story. It would have had a happy ending and Bill needed that. It also would have given us a close and personal glimpse of Doc Sartin. I've always found it odd that the only people who seem to write about him are his detractors while the many people who loved him remain silent. I wish some of them would step forward but it's probably not going to happen. Say what you will, but the man changed the game and Bill knew him almost like a son knows a father.

Illustrated Glossary

Last edited by mick; 07-13-2020 at 10:21 AM.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote