Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Selections
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Selections Post Your Picks - 1 race or a card

Old 08-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #31
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Welcome navyvet! In almost ALL situations - for myself - I start with the built-in RDSS automated Paceline Selection Strategy tool (PSS), the Default setting, to get a line to represent a horse. Others may use different, though hopefully consistent strategies.

Sometimes I DO double-check the line thus selected when the software algorithm may get confused by stuff like All Weather versus Turf versus Dirt lines, or whether a legitimate excuse in a recent running line means it would be unfair to not go back further into a horse history to represent it. (Situations where I tend to dive deeper into line selection are in 2 YO races, lightly raced horses, horses stretching out or switching surfaces, or when races switch surfaces).

Anyway, that's how I myself pick pacelines - 99% automatically. Plus, some of the readouts I tend to use lately, on the Rx screen (and soon on the Rx+ screen) are NOT dependent on a single paceline, rather a formulaic calculation involving multiple lines (internal CR+ Class rating, CSR Composite Speed Rating) or external non-correlated ratings like Morning Line, TwinSpires sourced ProfitLine or Prime Power, plus the live public odds in the Win Pool and co-related to other pools (a proxy for 'wisdom of the crowd' or all 'inside/non-public' knowledege). This tends to reduce the impact of choosing a single line to rate a horse, BUT - when that single line is chosen by strict formula (e.g. PSS = Default = 'Best of Last 3 Comparable Surface/Distance structure'), then you might as well look at it as not-a-single-paceline IF using that formula is predictive (according to your model-keeping) over a significant number of like events. In other words - no 'judgement' required: just take the line given (though always, 'caveat emptor').

As to documentation - start with the RDSS 2.1 Documentation set put together by Mick, in the RDSS 2.1 Forum Documentation section!

Cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #32
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyvet1994 View Post
as I'm reading this, and for all of you I am the new kid on the block, the one thing I am not getting is how do you know which line to choose for your analysis, I find all of this quite fascinating and I love numbers. Are there certain fields or are you trying to get as close to what the race type is? and when I download this is there some form of manual to help explain what each section means. This is totally cool.
Give that man a Cupie Doll !!!
Right out of the box he asked the $64 question !!!

One answer is...like opinions, everybody has one.
Consistency, however, is “key”.
Avoid “coulda, shoulda,woulda” at all costs.
Avoid zigging when you “shoulda” been zagging!

Ted’s answer, being a programmer, is naturally a consistent approach. In spite of that, Ted advises that there are times when he has to change the line his program has chosen for various reasons, though they are few and far between. Regardless, his approach is consistent.

Another consistent approach is known as “For The Lead’s Guidelines”. Although these guidelines are attributed to me, I cannot take all the credit for them. Actually, the majority of these guidelines are the original guidelines lines used by Howard Sartin. I simply added a couple additional guidelines supported by research done on millions of horses and hundreds of thousands of races. Here is a link to where you can find them. http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11449

Once you get there just click on the link “Picking Contenders and Paceline Selection”.
Although this section is about your initial concern, there is other information there that you can always come back to.

Best of luck to you!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #33
navyvet1994
Grade 3

FTL I did just that and automatically got answer to other questions I had not even asked about. again I truly thank all of you very much. next up will be the learning making mistakes and hoping to show and get an analysis where I may have gone wrong. Best way to learn.
navyvet1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #34
navyvet1994
Grade 3

I have another question. FTL mentions Bullrings and I understand the concept. Besides Delta Downs and Charles Town are there others?
navyvet1994 is offline   Reply With Quote