Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion > Speculator
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Speculator Speculator - FAQs, Technical Support, Examples, etc

Old 07-06-2006, 10:37 AM   #21
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Related thread

Here is an important related thread on this topic of TrackMaster variants and speed ratings: http://bindfold.com/forums/showthrea...newpost&t=1336

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:17 AM   #22
thelyingthief
Grade 2

perhaps i'm being too demanding, but one of my major difficulties with these newer breed of programs is precisely the various data sources habit of changing the formating, adding fields, etc--and the user is stuck with the price of updating his software, taking a series of hits to his bank due to the new data and its impact on the computations, on so on.

personally, i dont understand why you, as a programmer, can not approach equibase directly for the data? lest its completely prohibitive in price. seems most of the problems arise from the providers, anyway. and i do not understand why a data provider like trackmaster would arbitrarily undermine so many softare users dependent upon their information by changing how a variant is calculated, or intercalating a field into their table, thus requiring some adjustment by the software vendor.

is there any data provider with which one may contract that keeps its db in a stable format? adding fields to a pre-existing db in no way effects how the fields that were there previously are read by your program. they are simply truncated. so, theoretically, one's program would be largely immune to any change in data structures if the provider wished to make that a priority.

tlt
thelyingthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:37 AM   #23
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Regarding Speculator and earlier software which used the TrackMaster TMPP file, they were small potatoes users of a data file which was/is in much much larger circulation to users of other software (including TM's own), so although it would have been nice (and polite) to not screw up anyone, Sartin users (at the time) counted less, in the larger scheme (in my view) than the other 99% of consumers of that Speed Rating figure.

That said, TrackMaster did NOT want to make the change - it was forced by Equibase for perceived marketing and competitive reasons. Also, they gave a half-year advance notice to software developers (including Guy Wadsworth, who programmed Speculator), but Guy deemed it inconsequential (a mistake).

Perhaps most importantly, Doc was making a highly non-standard use of TM's Speed Rating and Daily Track Variant (for adjusting and equalizing call times) and, while they helped him understrand how to make this use, after Doc dropped out of the picture (and after asking Guy), they figured if anyone was really impacted by this Speed Rating scale change, well, someone would let them know...

However, your observation about going directly to Equibase (or to Equibase's data sales division, which is TrackMaster) is a precient one! That's what I did for RDSS - I asked for data dedicated to my specific software program, controlled and guaranteed not to change without notice, thow in a few extra data goodies (accurate ITVs, daily result charts, real-time mutuels), charge a reasonable price. Make a realistic business case, appear technically competent, focused on the long term: ask and it is given! After a short while now, RDSS will begin using that new data file.

I think Doc could have asked for the same thing years ago, but I don't think his business model allowed for hiring the programming expertise to make the whole process happen and be sustainable over the long term.

I agree the whole Feb 2006 fiasco was a slap in the face and should NEVER have been allowed to happen. I think TrackMaster (and Equibase) are much more aware now of the growing body of Sartin-oriented software users who are or who could possibly become their customers (as evidenced by their righteous treatment of Bill and Richie re complimentary data accounts). As with many areas of endeavour, it just takes an advocate, a liason, a constant contact, an understanding of mutuality: how can we help each other.

Sounds like a good philosophy to me. Hope that answered the underlying question.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 06-30-2007, 07:00 AM   #24
stormbringer
Grade 1

Track Variants From Where I See It

To: Ted, Houndog, Richie P. Fast4522 Dugoutgold

Frist Any Or All You Guy Would Be Great To Have Over To The House To Eat Rib Eyes And Drink Beer Or Single Barrel Whiskey Or My Whole Bar Or All The Food I Have I Would Cook For Ya Ll. Each One Of You Are Great Teachers In There Own Right. And What You Say Is Important.
I Once Called The Doc And Was Telling Him My Concerns About Trainers , And Shoes Or Something Like That. And He Told Me Not To Worry About That. He Said You Can't Change It Don't Let It Affect Your Play. you Worry About Things That You Can't Change To Much.from That Day Forward I Quit Worrying About Trainers, Shoes And Such.it's Just A Dang Horse Race.but If I See Troy Young At Louisiana I Bet Him $2.00 And Go On. What I'm Trying To Say Is Should I Worry??? I Think That You Guys Know That Stuff Better Than Doc And Jimmy. Can't You Fix This In The Program. Myself I Like Bris And Drf Stuff. As Many Great Handicappers As This Site Has Could We As A Group Force Track Master To Give Us The Variant We Want? I Wish The Program Would Make The Adjustment For Me,i'm Not You Guys I Don't Know A +20 From A -5 Or What It Means And There Is Allot Just Like Me In This Group There Just Not Gonna Tell You Big Boys That Because Thy Don't Want To Look Bad. And That Ok You Guys Are The Best I Don't Know How To Fix This Except Change To Bris Or Drf Or Another Service. I Didn't Mean To Piss Anyone Off.but Manual Adjustment Are Bad Ted You Will Hear I Always Make The Wrong Adjustments.
I Remember That One From The Thormation Days.i Wish You The Best And Will Keep Making Donations To This Site To Help Ya Ll Thanks
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:12 AM   #25
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Umm, not quite sure I entirely grasp your point

What variants are you missing, and what adjustment(s) do you wish the program(s) would make that they aren't?

Ted

P.S. We still have a date for rib-eye and beer (but that means I'll have to give up being vegetarian.)

R
DSS -
Old 06-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #26
socantra
Grade 1

Stormbringer,

This thread is a year old and was recently revived. In Spec160, Val4 and RDSS, many of these problems have largely been resolved. Just use the newer programs and don't worry about it.

Dick
Old 06-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #27
stormbringer
Grade 1

i'm stupid

i just noted the date of the post and see that there are a year old . I'm a very stupid man sorry to all:
stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #28
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Storm,

No worries! Just keep on truckin' with RDSS and keep up the winning ways!

yours,

Ted

R
DSS -