Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum > Welcome to the Sartin Methodology
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Welcome to the Sartin Methodology New members: introduce yourselves! Ask about how to get started, get pointers in the right direction.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Houndog
Grade 1

Learning The Sartin Methodology

For all the newer members of Pace and Cap; or for people not familiar with the Sartin Methodology I urge you to pay close attention to the posts made by the administrator of this board Bill V.

He most closely follows the concepts put out by Doc Sartin in the numerous Follow-Ups and Workbooks. His posts reflect that he has read the Follow-Ups several times to undertand the concepts that are so germaine to the Sartin Methodolgy.

This is not to take anything away from the other members here who also have made many good contributions to this board. I think whether you totally agree with all the concepts that Doc Sartin and the other teaching members put out is not as important as to get a sense where all these ideas originated from.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndog View Post

This is not to take anything away from the other members here who also have made many good contributions to this board. I think whether you totally agree with all the concepts that Doc Sartin and the other teaching members put out is not as important as to get a sense where all these ideas originated from.
Without a SOLID foundation in and the principles becoming as second nature, the newer variations discovered and promoted by various experienced posters here would make less sense. It is akin to a professional cameraman knowing all the subtle maneuvers of controlling depth of field and focus while the tyro is still becoming comfortable with the idea of relative exposure equivalents of varying shutter speed to F stop. Without building from the same foundation information, the more subtle things don't make sense.

Learn the basics, then expand your version of them.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
For all the newer members of Pace and Cap; or for people not familiar with the Sartin Methodology I urge you to pay close attention to the posts made by the administrator of this board Bill V.

Houndog
You are right on the money man and I hope folks take to heart what you typed!
RichieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Bill V could be an excellent teacher of the Sartin Methodology, i reckon
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

"Without a SOLID foundation in and the principles becoming as second nature, the newer variations discovered and promoted by various experienced posters here would make less sense."

I agree. What is needed is an outline. Tim, you're a better teacher than I am; care to suggest an outline, i.e. curriculum for the Sartin Methodology newcomer?

I would suggest starting by reading Follow Up #1 and the basic manuals.

Regards,

Jon

Last edited by Jonathan Steele; 12-04-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Jonathan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
Tim Y
turf historian

Brohamer has the best available description out there (MODERN PACE HANDICAPPING) even if his race style definitions are positionally based. It is widely available and where he misrepresents it, the reader can come here to discover the energy definitions.

STAY AWAY from Davidowitz who wrote an entire chapter calling the Sartin Methodology psuedo-science (It's always the ones who NEVER investigate it who claim this!!!)

It all comes down to simple formula and how to apply and interpret them,

If NOTHING else, one should focus on, and make a imprint in one's brain,on the ULTIMATE significance of the SECOND CALL: the framework of the entire evaluation. If one could find a reprint of Huey Mahl from the Gambler's Book Club that would be a great addition to the understanding as well.

Last edited by Tim Y; 12-04-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

"STAY AWAY from Davidowitz who wrote an entire chapter calling the Sartin Methodology psuedo-science (It's always the ones who NEVER investigate it who claim this!!!"

Yes, I agree. Steve's book opened my mind to many new ideas--both his and 'stuff' I've subsequently come up with. But that chapter was misleading and dated (i.e. he basically presented Phase III methodology) and did not inform the reader at all what the Sartin Methodology--especially the then-current (circa 1996-97) methodology--was really about. And that to me only showed his ignorance of the subject.

At the time of my purchasing his book (circa 1999), I did not know one thing about the Sartin Methodology. However, my curiosity was aroused and the rest is history. And speaking of this, I must give credit where credit is due. Had it not been for the efforts of Bill Varone via the old Yahoo! V/DC group, I probably would have never found this goldmine of information and software as well as great group of guys (and gals).

Thanks Bill!!!

Jon

Last edited by Jonathan Steele; 12-04-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Jonathan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Anyone wanting to learn should go and read Yellow Manual and then the Beginners column in Follow Up's

From the knowledge, understanding you gain reading those, you can then branch out and understand the information contained in the other Manuals and Follow Up's

Last edited by Charlie D; 12-04-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
rrb
Maiden

Well, since I'm "new" to this and "old" to Davidowitz, I sould suggest that everybody should dispense with "labels" and deal with substance.

Steve has been around this game a long time and has much to offer to horseplayers. The Sartin folks have been around this game a long time and have much to offer to horseplayers.

So rather than seeing who can piss the broadest stream why don't we work on improving our approach to handicapping. It's amazing how WINNING gets everything else to fall into place.
rrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Bill V.
The egg man

clients

To Pace and Cap

Thank you so much for the nice comments
In all honesty Houndogs post really knocked me over
I read it just past exit 5 on Route 287 in Central Jersey

I really have been not feeling well about the site
As a matter of fact This is the truth. The Allman Brothers
tune Whipping Post was playing just before I pulled over to see
what was happening on pace and cap
I really felt the blues. "good lord I feel like I'm dyin"

I have been feeling like the focus of the site was drifting
away from the Sartin Methodology and that nobody really cares
about it any more

I see from this post from you guys that I was wrong
Thanks for sticking with my dream
Lets all win and show the new guys the way to go.

My suggestion for new users

Just as I got in my Sartin Methodology starters kit when I was accepted
Please read
The Yellow manual
The Dynamics of Enery Exertion
The Chaos manual
The Phycology of winning An introduction to Win Therapy

If your interested. You could read all the follow ups # 1 - 88
If you starting with Validator 4 Spec 160 or RDSS, Start and learn from Follow Ups 80 - 88 only
Then read
The Match UP 2 The Five Steps by Jim Bradshaw and the post in the Hat Check area
It will help you to enter true contenders into any program
not just how to do the match up

Whipping Post

Good Skill
Bill Varone
from the road someplace in New Jersey

Last edited by Bill V.; 12-04-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote