Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #1
Forego
Grade 1

ray taulbot and angles

i read somewhere that ray taulbot was an early pioneer in pace handicapping. also that he used special angles to identify horses.

any readers here familiar with him and his work? what exactly does an angle relating to horse racing do? i am familiar with things like third start off layoff etc.

i also believe he advocated using the best line showing for each horse to evaluate the race. if that is true that is some pretty radical thinking at least to me.

thank you in advance for any feedback on mr. taulbot.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
mufasa
Grade 1

Forego:

Go to the American Turf Monthly site (www.winsport.com) it has an archive on all of Ray Taulbot’s angles. He believed in using the horse’s best speed rating derived from the race in which it ran against the best pace. Pace of the race not the horse. Anyway the information at the site will explain it better. He was way ahead of everyone then and even in today’s racing world who is limited to staying within the last few races. He had no problem using the horse’s best race in the pp’s going back as needed. What saved him then and anyone today that would consider such a thing is your sharpness at evaluating the horses form today.

If you are interested in some recent thinking on racing angles or fore go to the Pace Advantage site and do a search on post by Boxcar. Boxcar has added to Ray’s work on form angles in particular and performance and trainer angles in general.

Robert
mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
partsnut
BetMix User

Lightbulb

Hi Forego,

Ray Taulbot had a slide rule that you could manually input pace information that came with instructions for it's use.
Then came a DOS version of the Taulbot pace calculator which featured "Amervar"and angle input as well.
Star publishing in New York, produced the first windows version of this pace calculator which included the "angles". This was programmed by Randy Kovach.

Recently, there is a fellow called "Boxcar" who says he was peronally taught by Taulbot and currently teaches the "Taulbot method and angles".
He also produced software which is available only to 100 of his students at $ 1000 a pop. He has his own web site. He claims he has angles that were never given to the mainstream but was given to him because he was personally taught by Taulbot.

I also know a few people in Brooklyn that have a bridge for sale at half the price.

Last edited by partsnut; 06-14-2007 at 09:33 AM.
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
gl45
Grade 1

forego
email me
lbj
gl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
xtb
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsnut View Post

Recently, there is a fellow called "Boxcar" who says he was peronally taught by Taulbot and currently teaches the "Taulbot method and angles".
He also produced software which is available only to 100 of his students at $ 1000 a pop. He has his own web site. He claims he has angles that were never given to the mainstream but was given to him because he was personally taught by Taulbot.

I also know a few people in Brooklyn that have a bridge for sale at half the price.
Boxcar was one of several dozen or so students of Taulbot. He has modified many of Taulbot's angles and added many of his own. He does not have software available at this time, it is still 6mos to a year away from being complete. The program he is developing will only identify angles that have already been taught in order to save time, it will not rank horses or provide an oddsline or anything like that. It will still be up to the user to apply what they have been taught as to how to use the angles. He will only make available less than 10 copies of the s/w to existing students, there are only a handful of people that correspond with him. The final price of his s/w has not yet been determined but it is most certainly not a money making proposition. If you added up the time he has spent over the last 18 months teaching and the hundreds of hours his programmer is spending, the money he may receive from a few copies of his s/w is a mere pittance.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forego View Post
i read somewhere that ray taulbot was an early pioneer in pace handicapping. also that he used special angles to identify horses.

any readers here familiar with him and his work? what exactly does an angle relating to horse racing do? i am familiar with things like third start off layoff etc.

thank you in advance for any feedback on mr. taulbot.
Francis,
I have a very close friend who applies 3 Taulbot angles advocated by Pizzola.

They all have something to do with the last race in one way or another. He seems to be doing well at the races and takes his work seriously.

Richie
Old 06-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
mufasa
Grade 1

XTB:

I am in total agreement with you. Boxcar has been more then gracious in his time to not only provide very, very interesting form angles, trainer angles, and performance base angles but has via his site given examples and personal guidance. There are many ways to win at the races and his methodology gets him to where he wants to be in this game.

I am of the opinion that the current RDSS software analysis output combined with some true and trusted Boxcar form angles will make for a better win percentage at favorable prices.

Robert
mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
partsnut
BetMix User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
Boxcar was one of several dozen or so students of Taulbot. He has modified many of Taulbot's angles and added many of his own. He does not have software available at this time, it is still 6mos to a year away from being complete. The program he is developing will only identify angles that have already been taught in order to save time, it will not rank horses or provide an oddsline or anything like that. It will still be up to the user to apply what they have been taught as to how to use the angles. He will only make available less than 10 copies of the s/w to existing students, there are only a handful of people that correspond with him. The final price of his s/w has not yet been determined but it is most certainly not a money making proposition. If you added up the time he has spent over the last 18 months teaching and the hundreds of hours his programmer is spending, the money he may receive from a few copies of his s/w is a mere pittance.
From what you say, it sounds to me like a religious experience and not a money making proposition.
Boxcar and the 10 decipals. The chosen few.....
Does he do this out of the goodness of his heart?
Why not share and impart his knowledge and technical ability
to all that would want it?
What is his purpose and what does he hope to achieve?
Is he the true benefactor of the horse bettor?
And how credible is his presumed methodology?
Why did he leave PA or was he driven off?
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
xtb
Grade 1

Absolutely Robert, I have found that Boxcar's angles have enhanced my other methods.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
xtb
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsnut View Post
From what you say, it sounds to me like a religious experience and not a money making proposition.
Boxcar and the 10 decipals. The chosen few.....
Does he do this out of the goodness of his heart?
Why not share and impart his knowledge and technical ability
to all that would want it?
What is his purpose and what does he hope to achieve?
Is he the true benefactor of the horse bettor?
And how credible is his presumed methodology?
Why did he leave PA or was he driven off?
Wow, I was just trying to clear up some mis-information you had posted. There weren't a "chosen few", Anyone could have signed up to get his emails. It just turned out that there were only a handful of people interested and willing to put in the amount of work required. He's understandably not accepting any more so he won't have to keep going back and starting over. Boxcar never left PA, he still posts there, but he stopped posting about his angles because of all the detractors. Most people wanted a quick "get me winners" method overnight and weren't willing to put in the effort. I won't mention this subject again other than to say that I would not have gotten 3rd place in the winter Fairgrounds contest if not for using Boxcar's angles. I use them every day in addition to my other methods and it works just fine for me.

Last edited by xtb; 06-14-2007 at 02:05 PM.