Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Contests ** The Bill Varone Memorial Cup ** > 2017 Match4Cash Challenge
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Old 06-15-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
The Pook
Grade 1

2017 M4$ Contest

Name:  2017 M4$.pdf (1 page) 2017-06-15 19-18-52.png
Views: 765
Size:  25.3 KB

Pook is hankering for a little side action again and so is proposing the 2017 version of the M4$ Challenge.
Lets spice things up a little on Pace&Cap with some fun open to ALL MEMBERS (Not just Matchers!).

This contest, if it proceeds, will take place in the M4$ subforum of the Matchup section. It will differ somewhat from previous M4$ challenges in the following ways.
1. No documentation required. It will be assumed that members of this site are practitioners of The Sartin Methodology and will be using said methods to deduce their selections. Documentation is encouraged however because it adds credence to opinions whether right or wrong. In other words you will look cooler if you lay out your thinking.
2. No posting of races by contestants. The Pook will post NYRA's fifth race every Friday starting with Saratogas first Friday race, on Thursday nights which will be the contest race whether it is truly matchable or not. This will extend into the Belmont fall meet and maybe even Aqueduct.
3. The winner will be the first to accumulate 10 wins, however many races that takes.
4. There will be a $100US buy-in payable by Paypal or electronic transfer to the winner immediately upon completion.
5. If more than one player ties at 10 wins there will be a tiebreaker on the following NYRA Friday race using ROI to be determined with more detail at the time if this in fact occurs.

*Entries time stamps can be no later than race off time.
*2 choices per entry.
*Scratches will be substituted with the post time favourite.
*Minimum 11 entrants to facilitate a minimum $1000 winners prize.

I have chosen Friday as the contest day for selfish reasons. I Match five days a week Monday to Friday and do not wish to always be involved on weekends too. The 5th race from what I have observed is very often a good race for handicapping although I am sure there will be a few dogs.
If interested in playing reply here or in the same thread in the General Discussion forum. When and if ten players sign on it will be a go. I think I have covered everything but if not or you have questions reply here or PM me.

Thanks to Bill V. and Ted Craven for providing this website for us to learn and use Sartin or Bradshaw or any hybrid thereof in our passion for capping.

Pook

Last edited by The Pook; 06-15-2017 at 09:16 PM.
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
lostandwon
Grade 2

I'm in

Keepin it fresh with a format twist

I join you in thanking Bill V & Ted. I also thank you for putting on M4$
lostandwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
The Pook
Grade 1

Mike and Mitch are in. Thanks guys.

Current roster:
Pook, Lost, Mick, Mitch, Mow, and Ted.
After less than a day we are over 50% there. About a month to go.

Pook
Old 06-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
The Pook
Grade 1

(No Documentation) is not an option. In trying to attract players with less time on their hands I admittedly cheapened the M4$ into less than what it has been and is intended be. While Ted and Bill V. support it, Bill wishes to express the following to all players and potential players:

"Pace and Cap is an extension of the follow-up. The desire of Ted and myself is that this contest should not be looked at merely as a game of chance. The underlying mission of this contest and all further Pace and Cap contests should be as learning tools.
It is my deepest request that each post contain some kind of commentary and if possible screen captures of at least 1 readout or past performance
summary. The spirit of Pace and Cap is to teach, learn and encourage effort from each of us. We can help each other as we work to become the absolute best users of the methodology
I ask you to consider your $100 buy in, an investment in your future. Get as much knowledge as you can from every race. If you cannot afford the buy in, or do not have the time to invest, try to get as many positive lessons as you can from what you see posted by the contestants.
This contest must be viewed as a teaching- learning, example filled exercise. The person who accumulates ten wins will receive a very nice reward, but in truth we all will be better off working together.
Please remember betting money amongst each other here at Pace and Cap is NOT ALLOWED! This contest is presented in the spirit of helping each other.
Good Skill to you all
Bill"

With this said there are a couple of tweaks to be implemented.
Pook
Old 06-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
The Pook
Grade 1

1. Documentation required as per above.
2. Pook will post a choice of 3 NYRA Friday races starting with Saratogas first Friday, on Thursdays. Contestants choose one to play of which they have two horses for win. (This change will help to minimize contest type strategies, encourage the use of the Methodology as much as possible instead of guessing, and bring into play more race selection skills.)
3. There will be a minimum and a cap of 11 players. (This helps to avoid confusion and overlap of which there will be some anyway.)

Pook
Old 06-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
The Pook
Grade 1

So it is now...

Name:  2017 M4$.pdf 2017-06-19 10-34-52.png
Views: 700
Size:  15.5 KB

Participants should consider themselves student-teachers. We learn from each other in doing and demonstrating to others. There is work involved. Players are committed to analyzing three races every week and trying their best to implement the Methodology in whatever particular way they do it. A lot to ask but this is the reason for the substantial potential payoff at the end for somebody.

Keep in mind that this challenge happens over a relatively few number of races and short period of time. Mastery of the Methodology will not necessarily be reflected over this span by anybody. But there will be glimpses here and there of what the Method can do and be. Join in or follow along. Race reviews and opinions are encouraged.

Pook
Old 06-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #7
The Pook
Grade 1

Mr. Pagine joins us. Thanks Jon.

Current roster:
Pook, Lost, Mick, Mitch, Mow, Ted and Jon.
There are four spots left. Has to be 11 players. No more, no less.
(I assume with the changes above everybody signed on is still good to go. If not just let us know)

One more thing. Whomever accumulates the 10 winners first and is to receive $1000....I, or Ted, or Bill V. or anybody, do not guarantee that all will transfer their portion on time or at all. We can't possibly do that. But this is an honourable site that is a cut above most and one can assume that all will work out. There have been no problems in previous M4$'s.

Thanks,
Pook
Old 06-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #8
The Pook
Grade 1

Return of the Blue Star
Thank you, Pook

Along with my $100 entry, I am offering an additional $75 dollar
BLUE STAR bonus!

Name: Blue star.JPG
Views: 9
Size: 11.7 KB

Each time a contestant picks the winner of one of the 3 contest races
They will earn a BLUE STAR if their selection wins and that horse is NOT the final odds betting favorite

At the point where we have a contestant hit the 10 race mark.
whichever contestant has the highest amount of BLUE STARS
That person will get a $75 bonus prize

If there are ties for the most BLUE STARS The person with the highest win price of their blue stars will win the bonus.

Pook I will keep track of the BLUE STAR portion of the contest

The final odds will be based on the official Bris results charts

Good Skill
Bill
Old 06-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
The Pook
Grade 1

The Cigar man is in! Thanks for joining Vish.
Current roster:
Pook, Lost, Mick, Mitch, Mow, Ted, Jon, Bill and Vish.

Two spots left.
Pook
Old 07-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
The Pook
Grade 1

The M4$ tentatively goes Friday July 21. We still need two players with the right combination of confidence, sportsmanship, and a $100 to make it go. I will need the full compliment of 10 players besides myself signed on by 6 PM Thursday July 20 so I can post the three races for Friday. If ten sign on, that makes a $1000 prize plus a generous $75 bonus from BillV for the player with the most non-favourite wins.

Sorry gents. I promised myself that I would not commit my time this year without the 10 minimum.

Thanks
Pook