Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum > Welcome to the Sartin Methodology
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Welcome to the Sartin Methodology New members: introduce yourselves! Ask about how to get started, get pointers in the right direction.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
nightperson
Maiden

Smile New to the neighbourhood!

Hello all,

I'm new to the game and your forum. I consider myself as a novice as a handicapper. I would like to learn more about Sartin Methodology and seek help for my handicapping.

Actually, I don't like most gambling games because I don’t like to get myself involved activities which outcome mainly depends on “luck”. My family have been enjoying horse racing since I was a kid (or even before I was born). However, I had never bet on horse racing until I was laid off and moved back to Hong Kong a three or four years ago. By then, my brothers kept taking me to the race courses to watch the games. I didn’t really enjoy it and I still don’t. I mean a large part of the racing is too far away to watch. There isn’t anything to watch until the horses are reaching the finish line. And I can’t tell which horse is which. They all look the same to me.

However, having been surrounded by a group of horse racing fans, I couldn’t help overhearing their discussion regarding the races. At one compulsive moment, I came upon a website and read an article about pace handicapping. It’s very basic concept of pace handicapping for new comers to the game but it made me start to realize horse racing isn’t like most gambling games mainly depends on luck. Then I started searching for more information on horse racing. The first book I read was Andrew Breyer’s. He unfolded his ideas and method on handicapping by telling his own experience on horse racing since he was a loser and a college kid. The way he talked about horse racing was like football fans discussing their favorite teams. This book gave me a great impact and it was the reason why I’m here. J

The first two books I read regarding handicapping were “The Winning Horseplayer” and “Picking Winners”, both written by Breyer. While I learnt a lot from him, I enjoyed reading his books. The third book I read was “Modern Pace handicapping”. I have been reading a lot but I couldn’t find any other book or article could give me impressive insights or motivation like these three books.

Moreover, Hong Kong’s horse racing is very different from countries of Europe or America. First of all, Hong Kong’s horse racing are mainly taken place on turf. “Early speed” factor isn’t as important as racing on dirt. The class and rating system is very different too. New horses have to start from the low class. Horses are restricted to compete against others of their own class unless they can prove themselves and get raised to compete in higher class races. Or they are forced to drop in class because lack of performance. Hence, most high level class races are very competitive. There are always at least 6 – 8 contenders in a field of 14 horses. And the game is only held two days per week. Although I got some great insights from these three books and made some money, I can’t apply their methods directly to the racing in Hong Kong.

I have been trying to use MS Excel and Access to develop a database based on the methods provided in “Modern Pace Handicapping” that can help me handicapping more accurately, effectively and efficiently. However, I’m not good at Math or computer. I have found myself spending a lot more time on learning database design and math formulas rather than handicapping. I have been surfing the internet to seek help and advice. I came upon your website last night and have been reading the posts since then. I was surprised and amazed that Sartin Methodology is far more complicated than what I know of. I want to learn more about it and hopefully I can get some help and advices on creating my database by joining you in the forum.

Glad to be here!

nightperson
nightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

Mph

Hello Night Person
with MPH skills you will do very well Those 3 books are good
I suggest you start reading the Follow Ups "slowly"
There are 88 of them, Read each one, as if it was a famous book from the library
I also recommend Pace Makes The Race (the original with Doc and Pizzola )

Be happy
Go into a race wth a winning attitude
Build your skills
Stay focused
Don't tear down the home you built
because you see a ant in the kitchen

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
nightperson
Maiden

Thank you, Bill.

I have been reading the posts since I found this website. Looks like I will be very busy on reading from now on. Hopefully, I would still have some time for handicapping.

Florence
Old 08-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
nightperson
Maiden

Oh, by the way, I just finished reading the book, "Pace Makes The Races" before I found this websit.