Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum > Welcome to the Sartin Methodology
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Welcome to the Sartin Methodology New members: introduce yourselves! Ask about how to get started, get pointers in the right direction.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #11
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

"Steve has been around this game a long time and has much to offer to horseplayers."

Without a doubt. Steve's book was the first one that opened up my mind and inspired/taught me to think for myself. It's just that his chapter on the Sartin Methodology was not correct to the extent it should have been. But I don't hold that against him. I give Steve credit and thank him for even devoting a chapter in his book to Doc's methodology in the first place. As I mentioned in my previous post, it aroused my interest in the Sartin Methodology and is responsible for me being where I am today.

Jon
Old 12-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

""I have been feeling like the focus of the site was drifting
away from the Sartin Methodology and that nobody really cares
about it any more"

Bill:

We do, we do!!

All the best,

Jon
Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #13
shoeless
Grade 1

Bill has helped me in many ways and he is the best here on board to learn from.The reason being he is consistant in the way he does things and he has the ability to explain things in a simple manner.

As far as Davidowitz anyone that can have a local radio show as he did here in Maryland and in the first month pick 45 percent winners with plenty of longshots has my respect.
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #14
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrb View Post
So rather than seeing who can piss the broadest stream why don't we work on improving our approach to handicapping. It's amazing how WINNING gets everything else to fall into place.
Seems Davidowitz's ignorance of the Sartin method is the only one pissing on anything
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
shoeless
Grade 1

Just because Davidowitz doesnt agree with the Sartin style of doing things doesnt mean that he isnt an accomplished author and came up with many new ideas of his own.

1)Key race method

2)classification code for minor league tracks
Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #16
froggy
Grade 1

Bill,

Thanks for everything.

Froggy
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #17
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless View Post
Just because Davidowitz doesnt agree with the Sartin style of doing things doesnt mean that he isnt an accomplished author and came up with many new ideas of his own.
p. 162-3Betting Thoroughbreds. second edition

"It makes better sense to use your intuitive ESTIMATE of what this horse is now capable of producing. Similar estimates, or projections, will be necessary to establish probable pace lines for horse attempting new distances of changing tracks. NONE of which is adequately dealt with by any computer generated program I have seen, including Sartin's.........but at present there is little to be gained favoring their equations over fractional splits or other numerical approaches."

Behind the times...That's okay
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #18
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

Jeff said:

1)Key race method

2)classification code for minor league tracks

Analyzing trainer patterns and track bias are another two.

Jon
Old 12-05-2008, 06:11 AM   #19
shoeless
Grade 1

Jon,Your right.

I really dont why Davidowitz was thrown into this thread in the first place,he has nothing to do with what Houndog started.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #20
gandalf380
Grade 1

The important thing to remember, I think is that whatever program you use, play with it constantly. Not only do the races ahead of time with your software, but go back and look at the races afterwards. Look at what is working and what is not. Get a feel for what a horse needs at a particular track to run well. Make the software your own. The actual software program you use is irrelevant if you can understand what it is telling you.
gandalf380 is offline   Reply With Quote