Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum > Welcome to the Sartin Methodology
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Welcome to the Sartin Methodology New members: introduce yourselves! Ask about how to get started, get pointers in the right direction.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
bigjohna
Maiden

hi my name is john IAM USING RDSS FOR A TRAIL BIAS IPLAN TOLOOK AT ALL VIDEOS REGAURDING RDSS ON PACE AND CAP AND DO READING FROM LIBRARY ALSO PLAN TO HANDICAPP SOME RACES THIS WEEKEND NOWAGERS SINCE IAM SO NEW DOES ANYBODY HAVE SUGGESTIONS THAT MIGHT HELP LEARNING CURVE THANKS JOHN
bigjohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Hi John, and welcome!

If you're studying RDSS, the videos are a good source to start. For more general background on various Methodology concepts, and especially those newer ones since the day of Brohamer's Modern Pace Handicapping and Pace Makes the Race (which I think you've read), please download and read the Follow Ups in the Library, from Issues 70 through 88. Ideas on money management, exotics, how factors relate to each other, some good articles on the Psychology of Winning (what got Doc started on the whole odyssey of racing!)

Questions: just post them in the relevant Forums. Can't emphacize enough doing your own study - then asking questions.

All the best!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #13
jfs
Maiden

Just read "Pace makes the Race" for the first time.

I am wondering if the "Comparative Class Chart" in the book is still valid after 18 years? I noticed some tracks are no longer running and that some new one s have opened since 1991. Is there a new list available somewhere that shows what level each track is?

Thanks for any advice.
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
clore1030
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
I am wondering if the "Comparative Class Chart" in the book is still valid after 18 years? I noticed some tracks are no longer running and that some new one s have opened since 1991. Is there a new list available somewhere that shows what level each track is?

Thanks for any advice.

About five years ago, I tinkered around with the "Comparative Class Chart" by working with this:

http://www.drf.com/misc/pursevalueindex.pdf

I would slot new tracks into the Sartin list by looking for existing tracks at an equivalent purse level. I even revised a few of the Sartin rankings, reducing the number of grades. I'd supply the spreadsheet that I made, but it was on an old PC that went bad.

It was an efficient approximation, but as I play the NYC area tracks, I don't have to worry about shippers from minor ovals too often - except perhaps for the Saratoga season.
clore1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #15
jfs
Maiden

Thanks clore1030

Thanks for the advise clore1030. As I get more involved in writing my VB macros to use with with my Excel spreadsheets that I am creating to try and lessen the burden of doing it all by hand, I am finding the adjustment part (track to track, sprint to route and back again and turf to dirt, dirt to turf etc..) to be far more complicated than I first thought. I am now questioning myself with, are all these adjustments worth the effort considering the mistakes that I may make and how the mistakes can distort the ratings.

Maybe I will just try the class level adjustments and possibly the "best times" difference between tracks and leave it at that.

Regards,
JFS
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:55 AM   #16
clore1030
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
Thanks for the advise clore1030. As I get more involved in writing my VB macros to use with with my Excel spreadsheets that I am creating to try and lessen the burden of doing it all by hand, I am finding the adjustment part (track to track, sprint to route and back again and turf to dirt, dirt to turf etc..) to be far more complicated than I first thought. I am now questioning myself with, are all these adjustments worth the effort considering the mistakes that I may make and how the mistakes can distort the ratings.

Maybe I will just try the class level adjustments and possibly the "best times" difference between tracks and leave it at that.

Regards,
JFS
Well then, let me make another suggestion. Have you tried the RDSS program? Calculated EPR and TPR figs are just a small part of the program, but I use them constantly.

One of my favorite plays is in sprints where a horse has a 2-point EPR advantage over the rest of the field and is going off at 5/2 or better.
clore1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:54 AM   #17
seattlesnake
Grade 1

It also works in routes

It also works in Routes if it corresponds with your track/win profile.
And would also work underwater vs. seahorses with a big enough advantage.

Name:  RtePic.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  239.1 KB
seattlesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #18
Maxspa
AlwNW2X

Matchup!

Richie,
I have a "Match Up" book in very good condition that I would lend to a member in the group that might benefit from reading it. I could bring it to Saratoga for the group get-together or send it to someone you would recommend whose handicapping would be enhanced by reading it.
Maxspa
Maxspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #19
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspa View Post
Richie,
I have a "Match Up" book in very good condition that I would lend to a member in the group that might benefit from reading it. I could bring it to Saratoga for the group get-together or send it to someone you would recommend whose handicapping would be enhanced by reading it.
Maxspa
Morning Max
I apologize cause I am just seeing this now. That would be terrific and I am pretty sure "Mikesal" hasn't seen Hat's book and he is gonna be up at the Spa!

You are a class act Max and I wish you the very best
Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #20
mikesal57
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
Morning Max
I apologize cause I am just seeing this now. That would be terrific and I am pretty sure "Mikesal" hasn't seen Hat's book and he is gonna be up at the Spa!

You are a class act Max and I wish you the very best
thxs Rich...is it book 2?

mike