Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum > Welcome to the Sartin Methodology
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Welcome to the Sartin Methodology New members: introduce yourselves! Ask about how to get started, get pointers in the right direction.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Bill V.
The egg man

Getting started

Welcome to the Sartin Methodology

This area is going to be for new members and anyone with questions that deal with getting started or questions that either I or other members of the Pace and Cap family will be glad to help answer. Please do not worry about being shy or afraid that you will be thought any less of and NOBODY ever will be treated rudely

Welcome to the Sartin Methodology

Bill

Last edited by Ted Craven; 05-06-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Forum no longer 'moderated'
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

I ask for help from everyone

Please Post things here that you feel are helpful to new members
I asked that you think back to when you were first starting out
There must have been something that got you to feel like
Hey now I get it. Maybe it was something you read or maybe
you heard it from Howard, Jimmy The hat or another teaching member

Bill
Old 05-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
jldonah
Maiden

Software?

Hi Bill,
Where can a beginner like me find a basic program (manual entry) for a low cost? I feel that using a paper form and a program that makes me concentrate would be better learner resources than an advanced program with a million bells and whistles.
By the way, do you ever make it so far as Delaware Park?
Thanks,
JD
jldonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
Bill V.
The egg man

Valm or Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldonah View Post
Hi Bill,
Where can a beginner like me find a basic program (manual entry) for a low cost? I feel that using a paper form and a program that makes me concentrate would be better learner resources than an advanced program with a million bells and whistles.
By the way, do you ever make it so far as Delaware Park?
Thanks,
JD
Hello JD

Welcome to Pace and Cap I have a copy of Valm - The hand entry version of the original Validator I have a bunch of old programs that I look at
now and then just to sharpen my focus These programs are around

There are programs like your looking for. I can not sell or give you
any more information on this subject I hope you understand

as you see I have approved your post

I have never been to Delaware Park I would love to take a trip
soon If I can I will let you know when.

GS
Bill
Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

help please.

Can I go to Kinko's or somewhere like it , and have this yellow manual, the Dynamics of Energy and the POW , and the follow ups 70 -88 too, and any idea of how to do this, but can i do it on there computer?

Estimate of cost for this act?

This reading must take time, as I have little for reading,but will make some, and I guess I will make time if I want to learn, right, right.

Screenshot stuff looks like a great thing, will look at it too.

Unless someone has better idea, maybe what Barb suggested to read with on the computer,except that my computer is broke in half and barely works, how do I take and post a picture here to show how fragile it is.

Thanks

Patrick
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
Bill V.
The egg man

On line

Yes Patrick

You can read the manuals from any computer with internet access
The manuals are in the Pace and Cap database so If you can
see Pace and Cap you can read from the Pace and cap library

I stop at public librarys and read online I have even stopped at K Marts
they offer free internet acesss

Bill
Old 05-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Houndog
Grade 1

Manual Entry vs Downloading

Many of the older Sartin programs are strictly manual entry. This wasn't so bad years ago as many of us unless we lived in Las Vegas could only play 1 track anyhow with the exception of a big race simulcast.

With the event of Multi-Track simulcasting this has all changed. I at times like to use the manual entry programs in big races or to sharpen my awareness skills. I think the problem with manual entry is that you may eventually suffer from "Burnout" especially when doing multiple tracks. Also this leaves you less time for readout analysis which is Very important if you are to have success with the Sartin programs.

With Validator; Spec160; and RDSS you will save much time when doing multiple tracks and you can "Cherry Pick" your races. Do not try to do everything at once and stay with the types of races and tracks you are most comfortable with. The nice think about the TM downloads is that they are pay as you go which is great for the "Weekend Warrior". You are not locked into a monthly subscription. The only advantage in having monthly unlimited downloads is if Ted incorporates modeling capabilities into RDSS.

I hope this helps the new members when considering the pros and cons of manual entry vs downloads. Welcome Aboard!
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Mike A
Maiden

putting experience to use in new setting...

As a new member, and thus someone who has never used RDSS (or any of the other Sartin programs), I have kind of a comment and a question....something to say which hopefully will help someone, and simultaneously help me learn something about the program.

As someone who HAS at least read some of the books written by former PIRCO members, and can definitely say my understanding of and ablility to utilize pace was strengthened as a result, I can really appreciate the importance of keeping the other handicapping factors looked at to a manageable, even minimal, amount.

...Which brings me to the main point of my post: To achieve the maximized efficiency of the methodology, I've "heard" it talked about, especially on this board, that a certain amount of unlearning is usually necessary to pare factors down to this minimal amount.

I was wondering how transferable one's pattern recognition skills concerning the form cycle are to RDSS, (IF they have been used successfully, otherwise I wouldn't think you should have TOO tough of a time convincing someone to change.)...say if one was used to using the Form, AND given an already simplified style mainly focused on competitive speed figure range, pace analysis, and the form cycle (and by "form" I mean basically projection of improvement or decline based upon 1: performance/exertion and recovery race-to-race, 2:[I]apparent[I]form cycles caused by pace, and 3: the basic distance/ surface preferences of the horse. And I already don't pay much attention to jockeys, or trips or trainers.

And to narrow my point hopefully a little further...we obviously need some way of choosing..I won't say a particular "paceline" to evaluate a horse, but since we are ultimately choosing to bet one horse(s) rather than another, but not just relying on who has, say, the biggest 2nd call number last race, have the experienced members noticed that their pace and form analysis transfered well to using RDSS, or did they find that the software offered them a "look into" the race that got them to change substantially what they were already doing? Especially if they were already successful?

I know this may seem like a lot to say, and then to lead up to maybe a silly question, but I don't want to take anything for granted, and would like to learn from the actual experience of those successful with the method.

Thanks guys!
Mike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
As a new member, and thus someone who has never used RDSS (or any of the other Sartin programs), I have kind of a comment and a question....something to say which hopefully will help someone, and simultaneously help me learn something about the program.
Thanks guys!
Hi Mike and welcome.
After reading your post and questions it is obvious you bring quite a bit to the table as far as "capping ability."

RDSS has as it's "starting point" YOU the individual user/applier of what is in front of you on the screen. Put your line or lines in gleaned from years of "doing your thing" as they say then look at the results.

Simplest advice I can give you the result of which will answer all your questions is put your hands on it and then grab the demo database. Costs absolutely nothing upfront and you have a weeks worth of tracks to practice and see what shakes out. Take as much time with the program and demo database as you like. You don't have to make any moves til you are ready to play live.

If it turns out you like what you see there you go.

If you think it sucked or wasn't for you walk away from the experience having invested only your time and hopefully a feeling that the folks here seemed sincere and respectful to you.

Regardless of what happens the result to ME is very good karma and we all win Mike.

Again welcome
Old 07-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
Mike A
Maiden

Richie,
Thanks for the helpful bottom-line explanation. It confirmed my impression that RDSS is a program that allows for flexibilty of approach.

From what I can gather from reading some of the postings on this board, The Matchup concept seems like one of the most comprehensive and insightful approaches to pace I've seen, and I'm looking to take my pace analysis to the next level..also I'm VERY comfortable with "intuitive" approaches...so if you guys have that in your library, I would certainly like to read it.

Thanks
Mike A is offline   Reply With Quote