Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions) Racing Decision Support System - The NEW Version 2.2

Old 09-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
ignacio todoberto bernal
Grade 1

Send a message via Yahoo to ignacio todoberto bernal
Using 'Old' and 'New' RDSS Versions

Hi boss salutetions to you and your family.....i have a cuestion, are we going to be able to use the old version and the newone?

ignacio
ignacio todoberto bernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Hi Ignacio, there are tons of 'old' versions of RDSS . So I'll guess you might mean '2.0-Beta2.6-02' (old) versus RDSS 2.1.48 (new - currently available for download).

The answer is -- you can use BOTH versions now, side by side and at the same time. They install separately, and in separate folders (\RDSS2 versus RDSS2.1 Folders). If you don't get separate Desktop Icons for each when you install the 2nd version, just create one yourself (Google knows how to do this, and will tell you ).

HOWEVER (and this is important) -- by the end of the year 2018 or so, ALL older versions of RDSS prior to the upcoming 2.1.049 will be unable to download anymore from TrackMaster due to upgrading of secure access to their servers (i.e. HTTPS). Older versions of RDSS will still be usable, but you'll need a current version to actually download the data.

(Just to be clear - the upcoming RDSS 2.1.049 is not yet generally available but is in testing by a few folks and will get a few more rounds of updates this Autumn before general distribution. It includes the new Rx+ screen, horse pedigree, equipment/meds and weight).

I'll give plenty of time and notice for everyone to upgrade before any deadline, and allow some time for (the inevitable) critical bugs to get repaired before older versions can't download any longer.

But FWIW, why would you want to use a 5+ year old version of the software when the current one is a SO MUCH stronger and capable handicapping tool?

Anyway - hope that answers your question for today, and gives some heads-up about the near future.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
navyvet1994
Grade 3

will the update cost?
navyvet1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I am not 100% decided yet about pricing of RDSS going forward, but here is what I am leaning to:

RDSS may have a two-track Subscription level.

The Base level will be what it is now for what you get now: $150 annually (and that includes the repaired functioning of the Rx screen with Rx3 including BRIS ProfitLine).

The Plus level (or 'enhanced', or 'going-forward' whatever - I am somewhat allergic to marketing moniker hype terminology) - will cost extra and may include everything that follows in the future: namely the new Rx+ screen (including BRIS Prime Power BPP), a few new versions of the Rx rating (Rx4, Rx5 ...), wager construction tools like Dutching/Hedging, horizontal wagers, direct wager submission to ADWs, the Record Keeping Module including Models, Profiles and Wager Tracking, and any enhancements to the Tote Analysis system (Exacta and Daily Double pools), new uses of Result Charts.

Also - if you want to see Results after the race and have these automatically included in your Models or Wager Tracking logs, you'll need to subscribe to the TrackMaster RDSS Bundle data plan (which formally provides for Results). For a few years, I have been providing quick Results including finish positions and Mutuel Payouts courtesy of TwinSpires, but due to contractual obligations with Equibase/TrackMaster, I cannot continue to do this much longer. If you don't need Results (i.e. you don't keep Models or track your wagers or need to see them in the software where they currently appear on the Rx screen, OR you wish to do all this record keeping manually) - no worries: you don't need to pay extra for the Results data plan.

If I do decide to have a Plus software subscription option (for a higher annual price), I will give EVERYONE including all new users access to that enhanced version for an initial complimentary period - so you can figure out if it is worthwhile.

My point of view is (and as suggested by several folks who have made the case) - RDSS should pay for its annual subscription - and data - costs. If it does not, you are not yet using it correctly!

I'll let everyone know what I decide, with plenty of time to try it all out. (Meanwhile, I can suggest you tune into some of the recent Selections Threads where some testers of the new version are live posting their predictions and results).

As a final point - I am now 64 years old (never thought I'd say that ) and having the time of my life . However I am quite clear now that producing, supporting and marketing RDSS will NEVER make me the kind of money I deserve for how many decades I have put into racing and the Sartin Methodology, let alone even longer becoming a very good computer software developer. The real money in all this (to the relative degree that 'money' alone measures value in doing anything) is in BETTING and I gradually wish to be able to spend more and more time actually betting rather than mostly programming and supporting RDSS. Plus, it's way more fun (and sounds like a great 'retirement', whatever than means ...)

That said, I still wish to make a little more from my 'day job' and feel I deserve it - hence the possibility of charging a bit more for some new aspects of RDSS if people agree it has added value for them.

I'll surely make any decisions on this by the end of the year, maybe even after I release the next update for everyone to 'kick the tires' for a while.

Cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 09-08-2018, 10:53 PM   #5
ignacio todoberto bernal
Grade 1

Thanks Ted for your answer.actually what i wanted know was .....the answer that you gave me! yes am going to be able to use the old version,am so use to RDSS2.0BETA2.6-02 THAT GIVES ME CHILLS TO CHANGE HORSES .......YOU KNOW!. So you are sixty four ? am going to be 80 the 18 of this month.you are just a young man................

Saludos Ignacio
Old 09-09-2018, 03:19 AM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Yes! You can use the new version 2.1.049 (or later) to DOWNLOAD from Trackmaster, then use your familiar version 2.0-Beta2.6-02 to do your actual handicapping - if you like. All without switching horses

And congratulations on reaching the 80 year mark this month!! (By the way, 80 is not too old to switch horses - just ask my Mum, who is 84 this year ).

Feliz cumpleaños!!

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 09-09-2018, 06:17 AM   #7
cratman
cratman

Thanks

Hi Ted,

My hope is that your work in supplying us with RDSS helps and does not hinder your wagering. This would follow from the often-quoted maxim that one of the best ways to learn is to teach. That being said, I am very much appreciative of your work, including of course the availability of so much excellent material in the library.

Mark
cratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #8
partsnut
BetMix User

Hi Ted,

I can attest to your hard work in the ongoing development of RDSS.
You have been gracious, generous, accommodating and forgiving, I just wanted you to know that I respect and appreciate you for those attributes. The message of "wasted energy" that you imparted to me at a very bad period in my life, stays with me.

Being as Trackmaster and BRIS are under one roof (Equibase) I was wondering if you would be allowed or could use a file conversion module from Trackmaster or RDSS files to BRIS files so that those that use other software, as well as being a subscriber and user of RDSS, would have the abilty and flexiblity of using a multitude of different softwares.
I believe Randy Kovachs at one point came out with a Trackmaster converter

In my opinion, this would be unique and greatly increase the demand for your product and files.

At any rate, I support you for your efforts and hard work and hope you will take this under advisement and/or considerartion.

Best regards to you and mom.

Bill H.
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
navyvet1994
Grade 3

Thanks for everything Ted, AS the "new Kid" i'm looking forward to lessons and Ideas from everyone and what other programs would be useful. Oh and Ted? I'm right there with all of you I'm 63
navyvet1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
ignacio todoberto bernal
Grade 1

Thanks Ted and kudos and saludos to your beautifull mother!!!!!

IGNACIO.