Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 04-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
mick
Abiding Student

After 15 years at the racetrack, I can no longer watch a horse race

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...xercise-writer

This is a sobering article from a former exercise rider.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
Mitch44
Grade 1

A very interesting article indeed Mick, insightful. Thanks for posting.

I for one do not condone the abuse of any animal and believe more can be done both before and with after care. After care not only for the big named stars but for all horses and people such as jockeys. The Jockey Disabled program is a wonderful program. How is the retirement programs for rest in racing after leaving the game, after no longer able to make it?

Racing has made great strides considering yesteryear in many areas. Are we there yet? No! Without a central authority to police itself there never will be unity of effort. This also goes to data collection of injures to find the common denominators to prevent future occurrences.

For every action there's a opposite reaction. So with my thinking cap on let me take the contrarian approach. I believe veterinarians are more highly trained in bone structure, ligaments etc. than a jockey. This guy should have found another way to make a living rather than add to the problem for over 15 years as an exercise rider. Just as guilty as those he admonishes. To lend more credibility to this article I believe he should have given his name, after all he out of the game now. I find that to be disingenuous at best. I'm not a big fan of unnamed sources.

Complex problems take longer and are more difficult to solve. I hope they remain on course once the issue goes on the back burner.

Enough of this dribble but I will leave you with this. Are we just as guilty as players for funding this game?

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
Brian Chamberlain
RDSS Student

Thanks Mick, yes sobering and we do fund the game.
Brian Chamberlain
Brian Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
AbqVic
stretch run

Thanks to all above. Very thought provoking article and comments.

"The race may not always be to the swift, nor the victory to the strong, but that's how you bet." - Damon Runyon

"I don't like money actually, but it quiets my nerves." - Joe Louis
AbqVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:44 AM   #5
Swifty0x0
Grade 3

Since the exercise rider didn't identify himself, nor contact any authorities about animal abuse this story could just be a made up story.

Some years back in Massachusetts, the ASPCA put a campaign together to get dog racing banned in MA. Of course they claimed animal abuse, but no one was charged. We already have animal abuse laws, and if it was true they should have been able to gather evidence to charge the abusers. Instead they only claimed abuse and played on the emotions of people, especially dog owners, to ban dog racing.

This story is similar to what the ASPCA did - no real evidence, just a claim to play on people's emotions.
Swifty0x0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:52 AM   #6
Mitch44
Grade 1

This is a story that does pull at our heart strings as none of us would condone outright abuse. However like handicapping a race we must deal in facts.

As an update I read an article the other day and the D.A. of L.A. is pursuing charges against the Santa Anita racetrack. The culprit behind it all is PETA.That doesn't bode well for SA or the game. It would only take one idiot or lone wolf to destroy the track(SA) and the game itself. Once one track falls the others become targets with blood in the water.

Here's to survival, the majority and good over evil.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote