Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 06-24-2022, 12:54 PM   #1
CheckMark
Conley

1st Time Saratoga Trip Questions

This year my parents (including my brother) will be heading off to Saratoga in July from the 23rd to the 24th and we are getting tickets from a friend but there are still a few questions that I need to answer/ask before we go I appreciate it very much if someone can answer these questions! Super excited to go and if you are going on that day please let me know I would love to meet you there on Saturday!

1) I know that there is accessible parking for Handicapped/Disabled people around the area (my Dad has Parkinson's and has bad gait issues now so he cannot walk far without his walker) so which parking lot would you suggest and is there a trolly or some ride service that can directly lead to the gate(s)? And would it be better to leave the car at the hotel or drive and park in a parking lot?

2) Is there any good food options at Saratoga? And if so which ones would you recommend?

3) For handicapping information, I see numerous locations around the track, but what do they sell besides the Daily Racing Form and Post Parade programs? And prices? And is there anywhere else I can get info from (ex Thorograph inside near a booth like Belmont)

4) I know I will be making my own handicapping selections but just for fun I wanted to pick up a few tipsheets along the way before heading in so is that still a thing for "hawking" tipsheets or is that just the PinkSheet now? If so then how many tipsheet people are there?

5) I see that there are binocular rentals how much are they to rent and is it worth paying to use them or just bring my own from home?

THANK YOU very much to everyone who replies to this!
Old 06-24-2022, 01:25 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Conley - this is so great you'll be going to Saratoga this year, and with your family! I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience, as it has been for me and my Mum over the years.

Regarding mobility and parking - most years we went I would drop Mum off at the Main Entrance and she would walk the few hundred meters into the track to where we were gathered, or someone would accompany her. Then I would re-park the car (once in a nearby parking lot or street, but usually at Charlie B/Gandalf380's condo) and walk back.

My best advice then for someone or a group with mobility issues is to take a cab or Uber from your hotel and simply get dropped off at the Main Entrance on Union Avenue. Build this cost into your budget for the 2 days (and book the rides ahead of time). Check with your hotel if they have a courtesy or paid shuttle. Don't bother trying to navigate the several official parking lots near the entrance or the various offsite parking spots: you may cruise around more than you expected and find yourselves at an unexpected distance from the entrance. The peace of mind of knowing what to expect in mobility situations takes a lot of the stress out of it, letting you all physically and mentally enjoy all the rest of the spectacle!

Enjoy the trip!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:36 PM   #3
CEW
Grade 1

CheckMark.....I've been at Saratoga for many years and think Ted's suggestion to taxi to the gate is a good idea in your case.

I can't recall anything but the Pink Sheet being available around the track.

If you are sitting trackside, there are many good food stands incuding my favorite - the one that sells a bbq / mac and cheese combo - at the top of the grandstand. Or there are several areas out back with table service and plenty of monitors.

They do sell the Form inside the track, unlike Churchill.

The atmosphere at Saratoga is simply the best!

Best, Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:01 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Conley, also FWIW, I recall you can get really good chowder (either Clam or Manhattan) at the kiosk on the ground floor nearest the track apron (near N gate?) Could be better than a hotdog, though plenty of those around too.

I might be mixing up racetracks, but I think I recall getting a nice salad-thing in the 4Star Dave Restaurant. Frankly, I often make sandwiches and nibblies and take them and cold drinks in a cooler bag. However, if you get a chance do try the spring water flowing from the Big Red Spring in the far corner of the parking-side area, opposite end from the Main Entrance. It tastes TERRIBLE but is supposed to be good for you, as are other random natural fountains located here and there around the city (hence the name 'Spa').

I don't really have advice about touts or tip sheets, though it is amusing to hear the pitches as you enter! Sounds like something out of 'Guys and Dolls'.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:09 PM   #5
CheckMark
Conley

Sorry for the late reply but thank you for the help Ted and Chuck!

Ted that video is hilarious love the different tipsheets in the scene
Old 06-26-2022, 05:45 PM   #6
gandalf380
Grade 1

Saratoga trip

I am going to try to make it that weekend. I am not sure if they still do it but the harness truck has loads of free parking and used to run a free shuttle to the flat track. It is about a five minute ride.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #7
CheckMark
Conley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf380 View Post
I am going to try to make it that weekend. I am not sure if they still do it but the harness truck has loads of free parking and used to run a free shuttle to the flat track. It is about a five minute ride.
Hey you want to meet up? Would love to meet you if you were around lmk

I will definitely keep that idea in mind if that is still a thing

And will be sure to pick up a copy of Saratoga Special when I am there where are the stands to pick up a copy?
Old 06-26-2022, 06:50 PM   #8
rdiam
Grade 1

If you approach the track on Lincoln Avenue, there are several homes that will let you park on their lawn (for a fee, of course). Also, Siro's Restaurant is just outside one of the entrances to SAR, and they rent out their parking lot as well. It is not a far walk to the entrance on that side of the track.

If you enter the track at that location, there are stands selling DRF and tip sheets. Further inside, there is a booth selling Ragozin sheets and Thorograph. Nearby to this booth, you will see a row of food stalls -- hot dogs, pizza, and even salads. Closer to the track there is a restaurant called the Porch: pricey, with a view of the track, some tables better than others. Upstairs there are more trackside restaurants. Check the SAR website, it explains all of this. Reservations for one of these restaurants are a must, especially on a Saturday.

Further inside, near the Carousel, there are more food stands and food trucks. One that stands out is Hattie's Fried Chicken.

Many also bring a picnic lunch, as there are picnic tables in the "backyard", but most are reserved, and the rest are first come/first served. Or you can bring lawn chairs and map out your own space.

If you get there early, they serve a breakfast at the Porch restaurant where you can watch workouts. Or if you get there really early, you can watch workouts at the Oklahoma training track.

Finally, they run a tram tour of the track and backside that is free, but first come/first served. Check the website for details.

After the races, there are post-race "parties" as several of the bars surrounding the track. At night, head down to Caroline Street where you will find bars and music.

Hard not to have a good time.

Good luck

Richard
rdiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:18 PM   #9
gandalf380
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Hey you want to meet up? Would love to meet you if you were around lmk

I will definitely keep that idea in mind if that is still a thing

And will be sure to pick up a copy of Saratoga Special when I am there where are the stands to pick up a copy?
I definitely now expect to be there that weekend. Definitely like to meet up. Are you staying in town. If you are, might be best to use uber to go back and forth to the track. Where are your seats? I sent you my phone and email in a private message.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:03 AM   #10
CheckMark
Conley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf380 View Post
I definitely now expect to be there that weekend. Definitely like to meet up. Are you staying in town. If you are, might be best to use uber to go back and forth to the track. Where are your seats? I sent you my phone and email in a private message.
Ok awesome! I think we might be staying at the Holiday Inn which is like 5 minutes from the track or the Saratoga harness hotel not sure and for tickets we’re trying to get them this weekend I will let you know what seats we get and what our plans are