Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Contests ** The Bill Varone Memorial Cup ** > 2021 Bill Varone Memorial Cup
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

2021 Bill Varone Memorial Cup Our Annual Contest Honouring our Founder and Friend

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 09:48 PM   #11
cigar
3-3-1 - 3-3-2

Short and Sweet

I am in! New twist to the tournament. I am a win player, this will be a challenge.

Good job Mike.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:33 PM   #12
CheckMark
Conley

Sorry Pook does not look like I will be able to join this year since I don't have enough money

I will create my own thread for the picks in the "Selections" forum like I would have done and see how well I do hypothetically

Good luck to everyone who is (actually) playing in the contest!

Last edited by CheckMark; 04-22-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #13
The Pook
Grade 1

One week to go! This will start Kentucky Derby Day and we will of course go with Churchill Downs on May 1st, as the first challenge. Players feel free to peruse the advance PP’s as soon as you can get them.

So far we have Ted, Mitch, Darmar, Mowens, and Cigar. I have also added Checkmark (Conley). He is so enthusiastic how can I exclude him. I will pay his entry fee and step back to administration only. I am not sure I am going to be in a position to do the Matchup as I would like at the time anyway. But I will still run it. If things change I have until Apr 30 @ 2100 hours EDT to jump in again.

If anybody is thinking of it, jump in any time. It will be fun, but even more fun with more players and a bigger pot.

It looks like some P&C members may be afraid of the monkey. I believe I hear a little bit of clucking going on. I guess it doesn’t help that, apparentlly, a large shipment of bananas is to be delivered to a certain Florida address this week.

No matter. We have four very experienced (including last years champ Cigar) cappers, and one talented rookie capper brave enough to take the monkey on.

Apr 30 @ 2100 hours EDT is the cut off for any other brave souls wishing to step up.

Pook
Old 04-24-2021, 11:23 AM   #14
cigar
3-3-1 - 3-3-2

Clarification on Pool/Bets

Maximum bet per Day/Card - $100?

Minimum bet in any Pools is $2.00?
Old 04-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #15
Mitch44
Grade 1

Pook: That $100, can you clarify. My understanding is its the total for the day and any profits can't be bet. Absolutely only $100 for the whole card and day for track posted.

I have always said that the springboard to all successful bets is picking winners. They are the key to "The Mint." I would prefer last years format like Cigar however its a different format and I'll adapt.

One thing about rules are they apply to all and therefore are fair and impartial. These particular rules may favor my betting style, DD and Ex etc. and the way I construct bets. If the group feels I have too much of and advantage or it'll draw more players, than I more than willing to accept their suggestions. Its not too late to adapt the or change the format.

It may be a good idea Pook to see what members think or would prefer. This could be by done PM.

Just saying. Whatever you say or the members say is OK with me. Anyone that can't pick winners will not succeed in this great game.

Mitch44
Old 04-24-2021, 12:18 PM   #16
The Pook
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar View Post
Maximum bet per Day/Card - $100?

Minimum bet in any Pools is $2.00?

"Players must be involved in a minimum of 30% of races over the 4 days, (horizontals count as 1 race)
no more than $100 bet per day but a minimum $200 over the 4 days
Top 4 day ROI wins"

There are no minimum bets. As long as you are within the above parameters you are good. The maximum bet following the rules would be $100 because you can't bet more than a $100 a day.

Pook
Old 04-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #17
The Pook
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44 View Post
Pook: That $100, can you clarify. My understanding is its the total for the day and any profits can't be bet. Absolutely only $100 for the whole card and day for track posted.
This is correct

Pook
Old 04-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #18
The Pook
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44 View Post
One thing about rules are they apply to all and therefore are fair and impartial. These particular rules may favor my betting style, DD and Ex etc. and the way I construct bets. If the group feels I have too much of and advantage or it'll draw more players, than I more than willing to accept their suggestions. Its not too late to adapt the or change the format.
Mitch I am being tongue in cheek about the monkey. You may or may not be the guy to beat with this open format. Thought we would try something new and remember it is still ROI. You can generate competitive ROI's with winners only. This takes the shackles off and offers EVERYBODY latitude. We will see how it goes. Both Ted and I went over the rules and we feel they are fair and see no glaring errors. If anybody sees any particular problems let me know for sure.

But like you say it is the same for everybody.

Pook
Old 04-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #19
CheckMark
Conley

Pook

Thank you for allowing me to be one of the players in your contest!

I have a question about the formatting for the races if you don't mind me asking: Are we doing full card picks or are we doing 1 or 2 races? Not sure if you have said anything like that just wanted it to be clarified before the contest starts
Old 04-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #20
The Pook
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Pook

Thank you for allowing me to be one of the players in your contest!

I have a question about the formatting for the races if you don't mind me asking: Are we doing full card picks or are we doing 1 or 2 races? Not sure if you have said anything like that just wanted it to be clarified before the contest starts

Full card. Any or all that you choose. Remember you have to be involved in at least 30% of total races over 4 days. Horizontal bets count as one race.

Pook
Closed Thread