Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 07-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
seatrain
AlwNW1X

Help with the ESSEX PLAN

Was wondering if any members would help me in trying to figure out the "Essex Plan" wagering plan for low priced place and show mutuels.
It is in the Follow Up , issue #37, page 41, in an article submitted by Tipton Gilbert.
I understand how to figure the particulars in the win bet example shown in the article when all odds are assumed at 1-1 as shown in the article. Having real trouble trying to follow how to arrive at the 1.65 r.o.i. That he arrived at in the 12 race place bet example. I was trying to figure out how to determine the "arrears" column, along with the amount to bet for each play.
Thanks for your help,
Seatrain
seatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Why not go to the horses mouth: Tipton A. Gilbert

Ol' Tip is still going strong!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
seatrain
AlwNW1X

Thank You, Grade 1 Ted.
Will send him an e-mail to see if he is still around and into 🐴 play
seatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

He is indeed around, using RDSS, and enjoying racing on a regular basis!

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
CEW
Grade 1

Essex

SeaTrain -

Send me an email at cewilso@erols.com. It has been a while, but I have used the Essex plan in the past. And I also have blank forms - I can scan you a copy. Then you can send me your particular questions and we'll work through an example.

The trick after that is to it is find the one readout above all others that comes in the money a majority of the time where you can play it in this plan without any extra work.

Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Chuck asked me to post the spreadsheet he made up for this. Here it is:

Essex Plan II.xls

Here are the usage instructions he gave for this spreadsheet:
1) Enter a dollar value for the unit in the top box...say $2.00 for example,

2) When you start a new series, best to enter an “L” in all 12 of the center boxes.

3) Make Play No. 1, then record a W or an L. The next bet is computed. Continue the series until it “clears arrears”, meaning a positive value in the Arrears box.

4) The first bet is always 1 unit and the second bet is always 2 units, regardless of the wins and/or losses.

5) Because the Essex plan assumes an even money payoff each time, the results will vary. You could clear arrears without making a profit. The reverse is also true in that you may make a good profit without clearing arrears. All depends on your $2 mutuel. I used it many times years ago and it works.

6) The basic idea is to parlay wins (or place, etc.). The spreadsheet can only handle up to a 12 bet series. If you have played 12 races without back to back wins, set this aside for awhile and regroup on your handicapping!

7) Once the Arrears is “cleared” (when the figure is a positive number), disregard the next bet. it will not apply nor be accurate. Simply start a new sequence.

Here is the article from Follow Up #37:

Name:  Essex.Plan.FU37.pg41.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  165.3 KB

Name:  Essex.Plan.FU37.pg42.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  190.6 KB

R
DSS -

Last edited by Ted Craven; 09-12-2017 at 06:33 PM.