Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
shoeless
Grade 1

The Master Key to Handicapping

If your able to locate this seminar on cassete tape it's a real eye
opener by Michael Pizzolla

He explains in it that the real key is

Making good bets and being able to profit by them

Michael goes on to say that he used to pick a lot of winners
in that 60% range. But has found out that now picking only 25%
winners that he makes more profit.

Something to think about
shoeless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

win only ?

Hello Jeff
Is the 25% win betting only?
Is it one or two horses, or all types of bets with a 25% win rate

GS
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
shoeless
Grade 1

Im going to have to listen again but Im pretty sure he no longer
bets 2 horses as he alluded to the fact that he used to do so.
The win part I will have to let you know but the way he was talking
it seemed liked win bets.
shoeless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
atkinsrr
Grade 1

Probably one horse win bets....remember the "DOC' told us that very few of us could ever do that for psychological reasons...Bradshaw and Brohammer did it but they also had Big Bankrolls as I'm sure Pizzola does....I think being a long term winner at 2 horse win betting can turn into 1 horse betting over time...remember Pizzola has been doing this for a long time....in addition Brohammers win bets were usually backed up with a place bet and his win % was in the high 30's...believe that was win and place combined
atkinsrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
trotman
Grade 1

atkinsrr, nothing personal but there was no win and place with Michael Pizzolla. Michael's place bet is an exotic when everything comes up right. Many things on the web have been said but I know what was the truth from all sides, and today it is all internet fodder. No intention, and not pointing any fingers but in this world of ours I find the last hope with some is to try and pull someone down. Again to all do not get the wrong opinion of what I say, I am not pointing any fingers to anyone. Who knows why we do what we do but in my lifetime it was friend until you do or say otherwise, and as far as I'm concerned why am I here voicing my opinions on Michael Pizzolla, he is a friend end of story.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
atkinsrr
Grade 1

I think you mis- understood....I didn't say that Pizzolla bet win and place...I said that
Brohammer was a win and place bettor..at least thats what I read in the Follow up.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
lsosa54
Grade 1

On the few opportunities that I had a chance to bet side by side with Tom B., I never saw him make a place bet and he bet very few exactas.

He was a comprehensive handicapper who used his daily fps variants to great effect in adjusting his Quirin style "figs". He knew the SoCal circuit inside out and updated his track model and profile on a daily basis. He analyzed the pace setup of a race very thoroughly. He kept a list of SoCal trainers that he wouldn't bet, period.

The model I saw was very simple. Modeled winners early, sustained, and average (Factor W or AP). Profiled track by surf and distance - Winner's 1st and 2nd call position and beaten lengths, running style, field size.

He bet selectively but when he did, it was mostly a prime or non prime win bet on a single horse, difference being bet size based on his confidence level. He salivated whenever he saw a true negative class drop in his opinion.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #8
atkinsrr
Grade 1

guess I stand corrected...perhaps I shouldn't believe everything that I read
Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
ray lopez
Grade 1

In the late 80's,i had breakfast w/a few friends at the Club Cal-Neva in Reno after a big handicapping tournament and we had the good fortune when the winner of that contest,Lee Rousso stopped by and had a cup of coffee w/us.He won two big handicapping contests back then for big money and he was one of the sharpest and best handicappers in the business.He was not only good on straight betting,exotics and angle plays but he also had an array of stable and trainer plays.And one of the words of wisdom he said that i'll never forget is that one problem with one-horse-win-betting,that no matter how excellent your plays are and no matter how sharp you are,somehow and some way you will have to deal with those inevitable losing streaks.Streaks of ten,thirteen and even 18 straight losing bets...I believe he went on to finish his studies and became a lawyer.
That's probably one main reason Doc Sartin preached the wisdom of two-horse-win-betting.
ray lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Bill V.
The egg man

my own take

Hi guys

a few of you know that I recently tried my first 20 race cycle
betting 1 horse win and place

I did very well in the cycle but I think the excitement of trying something new masked the negative effect it turned out to cause

When I started my next cycle I lost the first 3 bets and after 1
small winner lost two more. I know its not terrible but what it did was
kill my whole mental outlook

I became depressed and not only did I feel I could not win
betting 1 horse It messed me up so much I lost confidence to bet
two horses !!! As it is I took a few days off and came back
to betting small and make only 2 win bets
Now I'm doing well again
Beware of trying to be something your not !!!!

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote