Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions) Racing Decision Support System - The NEW Version 2.2

Old 12-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #11
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Bill,

I assume that you know that CSR gives the most recent race the most weight and successive races less weight (last 3 or 4 - I'm not remembering what Ted told me.) Because of this, if the horse has an unusual or poor running line in races 1 or 2 back, the CSR number computed using a bad race automatically downgrades the CSR rank.

Here is a horse from last Friday at DMR. The first screen shot shows the 3 with a top 3 APV (in yellow) but a CSR rank of 5. When you put your mouse arrow on the CSR and click it, it eliminates the worst adjust SR and recalculates, in this case, the CSR rank compared to this field is now 3rd best instead of fifth best. Due to how little lines from 3 races back or more are weighted, the rank has the best chance of changing if lines 1 or 2 are not reflective of what the horse normally does.

This is essentially an NW2L race and the last two races were a little higher class, so you can use the maiden win line or the 2nd back if you ignore beaten lengths and rely on total energy. The chart for the last race does not indicate any problems other than perhaps the fact that better horses were entered.

Recalculating CSR should be done sparingly, much the same way you would analyze a past race for forgivable problems. Sometimes the recalculation does not change the rank, so if CSR rank is a significant factor to your handicapping, be mindful of that fact.

Name:  ScreenHunter_1179 Dec. 05 07.38.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  186.9 KB

Name:  ScreenHunter_1180 Dec. 05 07.41.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  187.6 KB
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:56 PM   #12
Bill V.
The egg man

Csr

Thanks Bill

Now I know how to adjust the CSR. Thanks a million
Good skill to you
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:47 AM   #13
dogkatcher
Grade 1

Bill L.
My pp's show the #3 with 7.00CSR and adjusting to 4.00CSR
Any idea why the difference?

Same APV, CR, PL, BPP
Old 12-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
No clue on your question Dogkatcher; could be the version of RDSS, but that is just a guess.

One thing to note. If you decide that horse A needs to have its CSR adjusted, and you go ahead and adjust it, you will see the revised rank after doing so. But if there is another horse in the race that needs a recalculation, the program will revert horse A to its original rank.

So once you recalculate, note the new rank in case it gets superseded by a subsequent "other horse" recalculation. Then when you look at the Rx3 screen mentaily know that horse A's CSR rank is whatever it changed to after recalculation.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #15
Mitch44
Grade 1

dogcatcher it could be because of different settings for your variant & trk. to trk. adjustment.

Bill Lyster can you do this more than once to adjust the CSR if it has two ugly races ?

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #16
dogkatcher
Grade 1

Thanks Mitch, Variant adj. made the difference.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #17
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Mitch:

I don't think so. As I recall the program uses 100% of last race; 80% of second back, approx 64% of 3rd back and about 51% of 4th back,so if horse has two subpar (your visual) adjusted speed ratings in a row, the rank rarely changes if you have to rely on race 3 or 4. Better to just mentally take the two bad races into consideration (if there are legit reasons to excuse them) and use later lines knowing the horse is prone to racing poorly (or perhaps WAY over its class) several times in a row.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #18
Mitch44
Grade 1

Thanks Bill. I usually do this mentally but it would be nice if we could select the correct 3.

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 12-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #19
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Hi guys, CSR uses Adjusted Speed Ratings (ASR), so any adjustment settings you have in the Config screen (ITV, DTV, DTV range, Default/Val Mode) will result in slightly different ASRs, and thus slightly different CSRs.

It was easy enough to skip over the single worst of the recent ASRs, but much more work to build some kind of interactive means to individually select which SRs should be included (and to make sure there were enough selections made and not too many, etc, etc). So I went with just excluding the single worst and tacking on the next one down the list, if there was one.

I agree it would be nice to be able select specifically the components of the CSR, but then you start to drift away from one of its strong points - that it's an AUTOMATED calculation.

Getting rid of just one bad Speed Ratingis better than nothing, IF you need that adjustment, IMO.

Maybe someday ...

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:25 PM   #20
Mitch44
Grade 1

"Maybe someday. . . " I believe it would greatly produce a better rating and at the same time strengthens the line scores of the RX+ screen.

As is, it does with its automated calculation / black box approach provide the layman a better approach to nothing however its not an acceptable approach for me and I work around it with my own modifications. It would be a nice update, one can only hope. Sartin has always provided the users with choices.

Mitch44