Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #21
reckless
Grade 1

Tim ...

Did you ever work or play at Blue Bonnets Race Course in Quebec?

I actually met the woman whose father owned Blue Bonnets, and who may have been the prettiest woman of all time. No bull either.

She's married to trainer Francois Seremba and in the early 1990s they raced in the summer at both Phila Park and Monmouth Park. Very classy lady, and Francois was a real good guy too. Almost rode for him one day when his regular rider was late getting to the track for the last race.

Their rider got left at the gate, rushed up inside, got stopped cold, then angled out a little, then angled out some more, then angled out even more, all the time in a box for about 6 furlongs. He went around a couple going into the turn, then cracked the horse's butt about three times, which caused the horse to lose his action for about three jumps, then angled out even further and further still (it was an 11-horse turf race), before running down the lane like Silky Sullivan about 7-wide only to lose by a head at about 15-1.

I only said to Seremba : 'Tough loss Frank.'

He said to me: 'That little *@$##%** couldn't get lost coming here but sure as hell got lost in the race, didn't he."

Also, have you ever worked Windsor Downs harness ? I haven't been up that way in close to 20 years but my cousin lives in Amhurstburg near Detroit and whenever I visited her, I'd pay a visit to Windsor Downs. I also made St. Catherine's Raceway near Niagara Falls and Woodbine harness, but never the Woodbine t-breds.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #22
reckless
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpokesman View Post
You mentioning your being licensed reminded me of my own test administered by Bill Hartack. Believe it or not, one of the things I am most proud of about being an agent is that I was certified by Bill Hartack. We truly lost a legend when Bill passed away.

Hi Spokesman:

Yes, Bill Hartack was a great great rider and a legend of racing. I met him a few years back when he did tour or two as a steward at Delaware Park.

He had ice water flowing through his veins and some old newspaper guys told me that he really did resent never getting the same kind of attributes for his riding skill as they gave Willie Shoemaker.

I don't know nor think if there was any animosity between the two Bills but Hartack often corrected people who called him Willie. "It's Bill Hartack, not Willie," he'd often correct people.

He replaced Shoemaker on little Northern Dancer and the Canadien-bred went on to win the Derby and Preakness, as I am sure most on this board knows already.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #23
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

"What happened to Harry Vega at Philly?When he first came from Maryland he was tearing up the jockey colony now I hardly see him riding at all.Jeff "

I don't know what happened to Harry, but since you brought up his name, I'll just mention that I found out about six years ago, he is the younger brother of a former grade school classmate of mine, Peter Vega. I also knew his other brother, Tony, a couple of grades behind us.

I was pleasantly suprised to hear one of the Vega brothers became a thoroughbred horse racing jockey, especially a leading one at the time. But not really suprised on the other hand, as he, as well as all his other brothers, were of the petite variety and perfect jockey material.

Small world indeed...

Jon

Last edited by Jonathan Steele; 04-07-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Jonathan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agents, jockeys