Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion > Speculator
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Speculator Speculator - FAQs, Technical Support, Examples, etc

Old 06-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #51
socantra
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
Good Idea.

There is already the private area on the bottom of the opening page of this site.

"Club Pace and Cap"

I don't know what goes on in there but I suspect it is as private and secret as the "Skull and Bones"

Froggy
Its even more sinister and nefarious than you can imagine. If we talked about it any more, our lives wouldn't be worth a dime.

Seriously, it includes a growing library of Sartin Methodology Manuals and FollowUps from the early days up to the demise in the late 90's. Bill first put some of it up in open areas, but they began showing up on ebay, so he password protected and made most of it read only.

Several folks talked him into accepting small donations to help defray the costs of running the site. I don't know if there is any particular amount or not. I send Bill a small donation every once in a while and as a bonus I got access to all these materials. The site has been well worth it to me even without the library. As I said, I don't know about amounts, but I can assure you that he is not planning early retirement due to my donations and its just a drop in the bucket as far as the costs of running this sight. He does it as a labor of love rather than a money making proposition and I'm very, very glad he does.

Dick
Old 06-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #52
mufasa
Grade 1

Dick:

I am sorry for my poor choice of words or sentence structure that made you think that you were criticizing me. I am in complete agreement with you as to the protection of some of these program user ideas. We are all connected through the software and the Sartin methodology from which it is based. Why not consider using that connection to better understand what it is that we have and how best to use it in an effective but general way. Like I said before I do not want to copy anyone’s successful usage method but would most enjoy some perceived insight to the true power of these tools through conversation and exchange of ideas. After all, where else can you talk to someone about the ins and outs of the future program (RDSS) then here among the owners or now testers of this great tool. In the same way where else can you talk to owners and users of any of the other Sartin based software?

Robert
mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #53
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Robert,

Just as a bit of housekeeping, and in deference to those readers who come to this Topic looking for Frequently Asked Questions on Speculator, may I suggest this Topic continue to focus on 'how do I?' or 'why does this happen?' type questions. Discussions about specific readouts or the optimal or variety of usage of different readouts could be posted nearby in a separate dedicated thread in either Speculator or RDSS forums.

In fact, I think I'll start one now to carry on your last thought about restricted areas and my particular philosophy on that in a new Topic, here.

Not to squelch at all any of your excellent thoughts, just moderatin'. Keep up the good research!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 04-24-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: updated the link!
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #54
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Trouble with Speculator and Windows Vista - Use Dosbox

Some Speculator users (including myself) report that on some computers running Window Vista, Speculator hangs with a blank blue screen when attempting to proceed to the Calculations screen (i.e. all the ratings and readouts).

This relates not only to Spec160, but also to earlier versions of Speculator such as SpecPA, SpecNP, Spand, etc. In my tests, all three of these Spec versions failed to run on 2 of my Vista computers, but ran OK on a 3rd Vista computer. Validator4 ran fine on ALL Vista computers.

If you encounter this problem with Speculator, the recommended solution is to install Dosbox, a DOS emulator environment and run Speculator within the Dosbox. Get Dosbox here: www.dosbox.com Also read this Wikipedia article about running Dosbox on Windows Vista: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox_and_Vista

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 04-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #55
reckless
Grade 1

[quote=Ted Craven;19743]Robert,

Just as a bit of housekeeping, and in deference to those readers who come to this Topic looking for Frequently Asked Questions on Speculator, may I suggest this Topic continue to focus on 'how do I?' or 'why does this happen?' type questions. Discussions about specific readouts or the optimal or variety of usage of different readouts could be posted nearby in a separate dedicated thread in either Speculator or RDSS forums.

In fact, I think I'll start one now to carry on your last thought about restricted areas and my particular philosophy on that in a new Topic, here (see post #53 above)

Not to squelch at all any of your excellent thoughts, just moderatin'. Keep up the good research!

hi Ted:

The 'click here' link in the quoted passage above is a bindfold.com link which no longer exists as a horse-player and Bill V. site and is now owned by some other corporation. Also, those $%%&# there immediately launches multiple browser pages for IQ tests and marketing b-s that is very difficult to escape.

Last edited by Ted Craven; 04-24-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: fixed the link!
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #56
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Thanks for the heads up Reckless! I fixed the link.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 03-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #57
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Some Speculator users (including myself) report that on some computers running Window Vista, Speculator hangs with a blank blue screen when attempting to proceed to the Calculations screen (i.e. all the ratings and readouts).

This relates not only to Spec160, but also to earlier versions of Speculator such as SpecPA, SpecNP, Spand, etc. In my tests, all three of these Spec versions failed to run on 2 of my Vista computers, but ran OK on a 3rd Vista computer. Validator4 ran fine on ALL Vista computers.

If you encounter this problem with Speculator, the recommended solution is to install Dosbox, a DOS emulator environment and run Speculator within the Dosbox. Get Dosbox here: www.dosbox.com Also read this Wikipedia article about running Dosbox on Windows Vista: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox_and_Vista

Ted
Further to this same problem with Speculator and also with Validator, and also related to Windows 7, both 32 and 64 bit versions: one user has recently reported that TameDos also solved this problem for him (www.tamedos.com).

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 03-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #58
Rverge
Grade 1

hi ted thanks for this info. it works!