Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Pace Makes the Race / TPR
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Pace Makes the Race / TPR Discussion, Examples, Lessons from Total Pace Ratings (TPR) aka 'Phase I' from the book 'Pace Makes the Race'

Old 02-01-2017, 12:12 AM   #1
kpmats10
AlwNW2X

EPR/LPR in RDSS

Bill V, when I see your screen shots of horses' PP's showing the EPR and LPR I'm wondering how are those figures calculated? Are they raw based on the running time of the race or are they adjusted to "Sartin Downs"?
kpmats10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:55 AM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

Adjusted

Hi
What you see in RDSS are the same numbers you get from the charts in Pace Makes The Race.
Except every pace line is adjusted to one distance, one surface and 1 track variant 0 . Sartin Downs is a magical track

Sartin Downs always runs the same distance, surface,and DTV every race. The distance and surface is always the distance of today's race.
Sartin Downs always has a 0 DTV. So if your pace line says the track was slow, Sartin Downs adds a number to its 0 DTV, If your pace line is from a fast DTV, Sartin Downs will subtract from its DTV and you will see a negative (-) indicated number DTV.
Also the numbers in RDSS are distance adjusted. 5.5 lines with short run ups or 7 furlong races with long runs to the first turn, are adjusted again

Lastly and this is something I don't like The DTV adjustments also include some knuckle heads at trackmaster"s personal opinion about class and what a given class of horse's "SHOULD" run

This is what makes people confused when they try to match what is in the book PMTR to what they see in RDSS.
RDSS uses the exact formulas as PMTR but the adjustments are to a universal track distance and dtv

Look at this example #7 Big Savor
Horse 7 ran today at 6 furlongs at Parx So every paceline is now adjusted to 6 furlongs from Sartin Downs

Lines 1,2,,3 get a track to track adjustment from Parx to Sartin Downs
Lines 4 gets a track to track adjusment from Lrl to Sartin Downs , not to Parx
Lines 5,6,7,8,and 10 Get a track to track adjustment from Delaware to Sartin Downs - Not Parx
Line 9 from Suf is track to track adjusted from Suf to Sartin Downs

All 10 lines for Big Saver have been adjusted to 6 furlongs because that is today's distance

Lines 1, line 5,and 10 were adjusted to 6 furlongs at Sarin Downs
Lines 6 and 8 were routes thaat were adjusted to 6 furlongs at Sartin Downs
Lines 2,3,4,7,and 9 are from 6 furlong races so the adjustments 6 furlongs to 6 furlongs

Name:  BullML7.JPG
Views: 1434
Size:  213.8 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
papajohn3times
Grade 1

charts

Hello again Bill
Great reading about tpr's I want to chart from the rexult charts but I lemt my copy of PMTR to someone and he moved and I now have no way to calculate the ratings. Is there any way you could post the rating charts? I know it starts with 44 equaling 100 but am lost about the others
thanks again Bill
papajohn3times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
Jeebs
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V. View Post
Sartin Downs always has a 0 DTV. So if your pace line says the track was slow, Sartin Downs adds a number to its 0 DTV, If your pace line is from a fast DTV, Sartin Downs will subtract from its DTV and you will see a negative (-) indicated number DTV.
You lost me here. Perhaps you can illustrate somewhat. If the mythical Sartin Downs always has a 0 DTV and my selected pace line for a 6F race at Parx is 23.1 46.2 110.4 with a +10 (10 ticks slow) variant, how is the time then being adjusted to Sartin Downs?
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #5
Bill V.
The egg man

I do not know , the formula that RDSS gets from track master
In the book PMTR a DTV of 17, 18 from the DRF, gets no adjustment
Then 1/2 point per point of DTV is added or subtracted from 17 . RDSS gets it data from track master . TM uses 0 as its base so in your example parx was 10 points slower than Sartin Downs so your pace line gets adjusted

I am not sure if the pace line is made 10 points or 5 points slow I would say it's 50% of the DTV , All adjustments just like in PMTR are split. In sprints 65% of the adjustment goes to the EPR and 35% goes to the LPR.
In routes it is 60/40 %

Last edited by Bill V.; 02-01-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
Fairchild
AlwNW3X

Am I correct in saying that in the original screen all the lines for Big Saver are as you would see them in a Past Performance but the numbers in the TPR screen are adjusted to Sarten Downs. If we want to see the lines for the horses after being adjusted we look at the adjusted screen.
Fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
Bill V.
The egg man

adjusted

If you want you can stack 3 panels.
I only like to look at 2
You can put the adjusted lines on top or below the original
or you can use the adjusted numbers, or you can put the adjusted with other
screens

Name:  saver adjusted.JPG
Views: 1262
Size:  251.3 KB
Old 04-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #8
mick
Abiding Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairchild View Post
Am I correct in saying that in the original screen all the lines for Big Saver are as you would see them in a Past Performance but the numbers in the TPR screen are adjusted to Sarten Downs. If we want to see the lines for the horses after being adjusted we look at the adjusted screen.
Allow me to expand on Bill's answer, as I recently completed a revised Glossary and was digging into this.

With just a few exceptions, all factors and numbers on tabbed screens to the right of the "Original" screen are adjusted for track variants and equalized for distance. The only raw, unadjusted values pertain to Tandem, Workout and Trip information.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote