Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 02-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
Jeebs
Grade 1

RDSS on iPad/Android tablet

I came across a website called Hazeware, and for $20/month, you get 1 CPU, 1.5 GB RAM and 100 GB hard drive space. You have to download Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client and follow Hazeware's instructions. Once the "cloud computer" is set up, you can go download RDSS onto the cloud, and run the program from your tablet! This is more than sufficient to run RDSS. You may have to lower the zoom a bunch to fit RDSS content on the screen, but it works!

www.hazeware.com
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Jeebs,

That's a good working solution for RDSS on 'non-supported' operating systems like iOS and Android. The new Microsoft RDP (Remote Desktop Client) for iOS (i.e. iPad, iPhone) and Android is better than most other remote solutions on those smaller screens (better than TeamViewer, IMO).

I have been using a cloud host for several years now, running RDSS (several, actually) on a cloud hosted Windows Server 2008 platform. For development mostly. The next version of RDSS2.1 will have several 'cloud-based' components, one of the most interesting being getting a listing of all races for the day (like the MyRaces Card Summary screen for ALL) AS IF you had an Unlimited account, even if you don't. For applying filters to determine which specific races across several tracks you want to work, then download cards with those races. (e.g. all 3YO+ after April, or only older Females, 8+ runners, non-maiden, Turf Routes, non-stakes, no FTS or 1TS or 2TS, with 15+ Early Speed Points ...etc).

Thanks for that cloud solution - the prices are pretty good for a small system, and Windows 7 is very stable.

Interested in hearing from anyone who is using some kind of a cloud solution for RDSS and their non-Windows tablets.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 02-04-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
The Pook
Grade 1

Jeebs, Ted

How do I download RDSS on to the cloud so that I can run it from my IPad?

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Pook,

After you get a cloud account set up, logon to it (i.e. logon to Windows on that cloud-based computer), then use a browser (e.g. IE) to download and install RDSS like you would on your Desktop computer. You interact with that cloud computer through a window (a RDP app window) on your own physical computer/tablet. It's like having 2 (or more) computers showing up on the same screen; you switch between them (i.e. switch between your iPad or Android or Windows tablet screen and the remote, cloud-based Windows screen running RDSS and whatever else).

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 02-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
The Pook
Grade 1

Thanks Ted.

Apparently you can also get an app from Parallels that will allow you to access your computer from your IPad (tablet) and run any software you have remotely. You need IOS 7 or later though. They charge $3 a month or $20 a year. It is called Parallels Access. Not sure how it would be with touch-screen. No idea how you would handle a Control Right Click command from an IPad.

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Pook, in addition to that, try the free app from Microsoft. In the Apple App store, search for 'Microsoft Remote Desktop'. One might be better than the other at working with RDSS, but right-click is included, usually by a long-press.

FWIW, what RDSS needs is a bit of a visual makeover for tablets - larger buttons, some different navigation options, etc. Not the next update, but maybe later. I am adjusting to using it on my Surface tablet just fine

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Jeebs
Grade 1

Right click seems to work when you hold two fingers down at once.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote