Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 04-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Way early Derby musings - marathon method

Heading out on a limb here, but what the heck...

The Derby this year is once again loaded with early speed types, but it appears that there are not that many qualified SP or S types to upset the apple cart.

The top two mile times come from California Chrome who recorded those times, once on the lead and another time early pressing, but be aware that earlier races show wins from 4th position, so he might be content to let others lead and pounce when needed.

FYI I considered only horses that were in the top 25 points earners so far, with a couple of exceptions.

Of interest here is that Chitu a fairly committed EP type has the 3rd and 7th best mile times, but current thinking is this one is going in the Derby Trial this weekend. Should be interesting what running style is used in that race. I would probably like him if he shows he can press from a couple off or more.

Also, prior to yesterday 4 of the top 15 miles had been run by Midnight Hawk - #3-9-12-15, but they say he will not run in the Derby.

The early contingent looks to include Ca Chrome, Chitu (?), Wildcat Red and General a Rod as the serious early horses. Others like Social Inclusion and Uncle Sigh could enter this duel to add to the clutter up front.

There do not appear to be any true fighters on the lead at a pace that will hold up for 10 furlongs.

So far with the contenders I am looking at there have only been 14 horses who ran in races with a six furlong time of 112.00 or better and only 11 running lines from only 9 horses that have either gone wire to wire or which gained both positions and lengths against 112.00 six furlong time.

The nine are California Chrome (2x), Wildcat Red, Chitu (2x), General a Rod, Candy Boy, Social Inclusion, Hoppertunity, Samraat and Wicked Strong.

Candy Boy, Hoppertunity, Samraat have all gained from either 4th or 5th and Wicked Strong closed from the farthest out, in sixth, to win the Wood

7 of the top 9 mile times (excluding Midnight Hawk) come from horses expected to run E or EP, the other two top mile times, #4 and #8, come from the SP Candy Boy and Hoppertunity (Samraat rates 15th best mile time).

Looking down the list of mile times there is a noticable gap after #8. The 8th best mile time is 135.77 and the 9th best is 136.41 (or more than 3+ lengths) which means that all the closers must overcome that and have enough in reserve to pass whatever is still in front of them at the top of the stretch.

My preliminary opinion is that Chrome can cruise at a high rate, fend off the rest of the E and EP pretenders and then worry about the two SP's and the lone S - Wicked Strong.

But we can take a closer look after all the entries are known. There is still a lot of flux in the field, so I will wait so as not to get myself fluxed up too much, too soon.

Regards,
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Rverge
Grade 1

nice! bill
Old 04-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
Segwin
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rverge View Post
nice! bill
I agree, nice writeup Bill.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
lone speed
Grade 1

Bill Lyster...

Always appreciate your opinions on marathon races, the Derby is no exception...thanks for taking the time for an early analysis....

So far, race matchup lacks a true strong sustained runner among the top twenty...Baffert making some strange moves among his entrants...
lone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
mowens33
Grade 1

Bill, thanks for posting your thoughts on the Derby! I'm going to need all the help I can get!!

Mike
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
I became a fan of reading charts big time when I spotted Little Current's trouble line in the 1974 Derby chart. He was stopped pretty badly there and then went on to win the Preakness at 13:1 and the Belmont 3 weeks later.

I have read all the prep race charts so far this year and there does not appear to have been much more than the using slow breaks, occasional bumps, wide trips, etc., but the chart comments for two horses got my attention.

Having previous commented on the Aqueduct chart caller's "It was a dark and stormy night..." call of the Wood, all of this might be a matter of style from a different chart caller, but then again, maybe not.

I offer these two charts from California Chrome's last two races. It looks like Baffert's two best horses were blown out. No wonder Midnight Hawk is scheduled NOT to run in the Derby.

Light taps with the whip and long holds at the finish in two consecutive races do not look like the race took much out of this horse.

One other chart comment in the next post.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Chart comment #2

There might be other charts to comment upon, but this one also caught my eye. I agree that this race needs a good closer. So far, here is my candidate.

The Hat talked about POWER MOVES, well look at this one. Dance With Fate inhaled almost the entire field, going from 11th out of 14 to first from the backstretch to the start of the stretch. Admittedly, it was on poly track, but DWF has passed horses on turf and regular dirt when not impeded at the start as he was in BC Juvenile; he was squeezed at start in DMR Futurity, was 10th at 1/2 mile 6.75 L back and lost by 0.5 L (another poly performance, BTW)

DWF's turn time was a sparkling 23.74 followed up by a final furlong in 12.23. No other horse in this race ran a faster final eighth. Of course with a race six furlong time of 112.74 he still might need some help from others up front in order to win.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
atkinsrr
Grade 1

THX Bill for the comments....I've had my eyes on Wicked Strong and DWF for a while...I'm reading things like DWF can't run on the dirt..which I totally disagree with, horses with good TT and HE are good in the Derby...especially when those "E" horses run a 45 half mile, which seems to happen often..
atkinsrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

I remarked on DWF's Blue Grass because of the tremendous power move that it made (almost last to first all on the turn or starting just before). My BG handicapping eliminated all the early contenders, but unfortunately DWF was not one of the closers I had.

To date DWF has raced 8 times with 3 wins and 3 seconds, 5 times on poly, 1 grass race and two routes on dirt. In the BC Juvenile he was squeezed at start losing all chance. Nonetheless he made up 4 lengths on the turn against 45.2 and 109.6 fractions, a 23.6 fraction, before giving it up. Remember, this was as a raw two year old. The final time adjusted for lengths beaten was about 145.2. In his previous race, also a Grade 1 race on dirt where he was 2nd, his adjusted final time was about 145.4, turn time 24.8 off of 46.6-111.6 fractions. So you can see improvement from race to race on dirt. When he finished 2nd in that race he beat Tamarando (gaining from 3rd to first at the stretch call), his conqueror in the DMR futurity and apparently, a poly only horse (so far). DWF horse went from winning its 2nd ever start right into Grade 1 company with 2 seconds, a win, and the BC debacle. Hardly criteria for dismissal as a one surface performer. He won his NW1x on turf as an early season prep in January.

From limited number of races, Wicked Strong appears to make a little later move than does DWF, launching from a little further back in the pack and not passing horses until into the stretch.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
atkinsrr
Grade 1

Thx for the update Bill...looking forward to your analysis when the final entries are decided, on Blue Grass day I did put DWF on my P3 and P4 tickets even tho RDSS didn't have him as a contender...I was on line that friday night listening to Mike Beer from DRF and Jeremy Plonk from Horseplayer.com..and they both picked him to win the Blue Grass and their analysis seemed very valid so I spent the extra money and put him on my tickets...good thing I did...when handicapping 3yo I've learned that using other factors other than pace analysis and listening to views of some of the so called (experts) do help me at times....good skills next week everyone, let's make some $$$$$$$$
atkinsrr is offline   Reply With Quote