Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > RDSS 1: Bug Reports
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS 1: Bug Reports Historical Bug problems and solutions for the first version of RDSS (through V0.99.2)

Old 07-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Maxspa
AlwNW2X

Exclamation Problem Solved Installing New RDSS Program?

Ted,
I downloaded RDSS 98.6. When I try to install this program, the computer Installation Wizard goes through the various screens and completes the process. However, when I click on RDSS to use the program it will go through the same installation process again. I've tried this a couple of times and the results are the same it goes through the installation process but I can't use RDSS.
I have the Vista operating system and have tried logging in using the administrator log in with no success. I checked the board for people having trouble and double clicked the REG DLL.bat file-no success there either! So I'm at wits end as to what to do next.
Maxspa
Old 07-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspa View Post
I downloaded RDSS 98.6.
Max, is there any chance you meant 0.98.7 - the latest update? No Matter...

You say the RDSS install routine occurs over and over when you click the RDSS icon. This would occur, for example, if you downloaded the RDSS Install package to your Desktop (or somewhere), then clicked that Install package (i.e. the software would be installed). If you mistook the actual RDSS Program Icon for the RDSS Install Package icon, then indeed you would merely install over and over. Double-check which program is actually being run when you click on a Desktop Icon: right-click the Icon, choose Properties then the Shortcut Tab. If the Target info says, e.g. c:\rdss\rdss.exe then that is the actual RDSS software. If the Target instead refers to RdssInstall0986.exe, then you are clicking on the Installer Icon (i.e. not the one you intend).

You can always get to the right program by going to the RDSS folder, looking for the program file: RDSS.EXE and clicking on that. If you seem to have lost your actual Desktop Icon pointing to the RDSS program, just create a new Shortcut by right-clicking on the RDSS.EXE program in the RDSS folder, choosing Send To, then Desktop (create shortcut).

Also, not sure if this has anything to do with ZIP problems, and if not, I might move this post to a new Topic.

Let us know if this helps.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 07-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspa View Post
I downloaded RDSS 98.7. When I try to install this program, the computer Installation Wizard goes through the various screens and completes the process. However, when I click on RDSS to use the program it will go through the same installation process again. I've tried this a couple of times and the results are the same it goes through the installation process but I can't use RDSS.
Max,

Looking at your screenshot of files in your RDSS folder which you sent me, I notice you have an install-type file named RDSS.EXE in your RDSS folder (I notice this because of the Installshield icon associated with that file, instead of the normal RDSS logo icon). Now I can guess a possible cause to your problem (or a sequence of events which would duplicate it):

When downloading Version 0.98.7 (a download file named RdssInstall0987.exe), sometimes (as noted on the download page) your browser (or your Windows security settings) will by default remove the .EXE ending from the download file (to save you, or nanny you, from downloading potentially threatening programs from the internet). If you were to rename the download file (presented to you as simply RdssInstall0987 – without the .EXE extension ) to RDSS.EXE (instead of RdssInstall0987.EXE) and save that download file to your RDSS folder, e.g. instead of to your Download folder or to your Desktop, then when you went to run that RDSS Install program, all the files for RDSS would be installed normally and placed in the RDSS folder EXCEPT the RDSS.EXE program launch file itself, because there is a program by that same name (i.e. an incorrectly named installer-program) already running and Windows would not permit that file (RDSS.EXE) to be overwritten while it is running. Thus the normal RDSS program file is never installed, yet you have an install program named RDSS.EXE which continually re-installs RDSS (always unsuccessfully, and incompletely) – and it feels like the Twilight Zone!

In this scenario, do this: download again Version 0.98.7 (or wait a few days for the immanently coming V 0.98.8 with the modeling export) but do not save it in your RDSS folder – save it to your Desktop or dedicated Download folder. Make sure the file is named RdssInstall0987.exe after you have finished downloading it. In your RDSS folder, delete the file named RDSS.EXE. Then run the RdssInstall0987.exe RDSS install program. All files should install properly, now that nothing is preventing the complete RDSS package from being placed in the RDSS folder.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 07-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Maxspa
AlwNW2X

Software Problem Solved.

Ted,
I want to publicly thank you for solving my problem using the RDDS software. If anyone has a problem and Ted has the time-I would not hesitate to recommend his ability to analyze and problem solve. His call in my case was right on and the solution was accurate.
Many thanks for your competent analysis and accurate suggestions!
Maxspa