Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 11-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Bill V's Health

Dear everyone, Bill V wrote me to express his thanks to you all for all the Birthday wishes over the past week, but also to say how sad he is that he cannot respond at much length just now due to how ill he is and often just plain tired.

We've known for some time now that Bill is actually suffering from kidney failure in a serious way. This plus the collection of medications he is taking is seriously messing with both his physical and mental/emotional health. Some weeks he feels better, full of enthusiasm for horse racing, talking and corresponding with people, being his traditional generous, helpful self. But other weeks he feels very low energy, can't focus on anything and feels altogether like crap and sad. More like the latter this past week, I think.

I talked for a while with his sister Lois yesterday who lives nearby to Bill and their dad Joe. The facts are that Bill needs a new kidney and has launched the process for applying to get one. People in this situation, with proper dialysis treatment and medication live for many years with the condition. I understand that the family hopes he can get a new kidney soon, since he is otherwise generally healthy enough and certainly younger than most people in the situation.

I want to encourage anyone who feels moved to either send Bill a private note or even, during this November Del Mar live race meet, if they are in the neighbourhood, to ask him if he wants to meet up somewhere at Del Mar and enjoy a few hours of live racing and the company of friends. Except when physical health conditions preclude it, I think his spirits are greatly lifted when in contact with people who care for him - I know that's true for me and mostly everyone I know!

Make no mistake friends, Bill is in serious health but I personally strongly believe that physical health in many ways follows mental/emotional health and how we see ourselves. Any help Bill can receive from kind people who are able to simply wish him well, or keep him in their prayers while trying to live a loving and generous life for themselves (or by arrangement to spend a few hours enjoying our shared pastime with horse racing) -- all these gifts can help him perhaps find the physical strength and positive outlook required to deal with these tough times for him while he prepares for a new kidney, however long that may take.

Bill started the precursor to PaceandCap, the VDC Messenger Yahoo newsgroup in 2004, out of gratitude for how Doc had affected his life. It is due to his desire to continue the Sartin Methodology and gather together Doc's fans that we are all here today, having this conversation and enjoying the game as we are, still using the old and the new tools. Many good things have flourished from those early desires of Bill. I want to say: hang in there Bill though I know that is neither easy nor much fun most days. I am grateful for your enthusiasm all these years and I want to do what I can to help you in this tough period, which I know may go on for a long while further.

OK, I just wanted people to know more specifically what our friend is going through, how he is fighting, sometimes more sometimes less ahead of the curve - and how he needs our thoughts, positive energy and love.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
Lefty
Grade 1

I wish Bill sincere luck in getting a new kidney, and I will pray for him.
Good health soon, Bill. I have learned a lot from your posts.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
Mitch44
Grade 1

Hello Bill.

Remain upbeat as there is always hope and prayers coming your way. Great battles evolve overtime and not from immediacy. Take this war one day at a time and victory will be yours. Fight today and the future will take care of its self.

All my best Bill,
Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #4
CheckMark
Conley

I feel so bad that I would actually donate a kidney. I can live with one.
CheckMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
Lt1
Grade 1

Bill you are always in my prayers my friend. This maybe a long haul but in the end I know you will win. Stay tough.
Tim
Old 11-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
darmar
Grade 1

Stay strong Bill

As all of your friends have echoed I want you to know that you coming through this is what we all hope and pray for. STAY STRONG FOR US BILL.
Darryl
darmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #7
CheckMark
Conley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
I feel so bad that I would actually donate a kidney. I can live with one.
Chose this picture of Accelerate a winner in the sport of kings and I also choose it for Bill V since he is a winner in all of us. Stay strong bill!
CheckMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #8
mick
Abiding Student

At Saratoga this summer, Bill went to dialysis on Friday morning so that he could be with us at the track Saturday afternoon. This is after the man had traveled coast to coast to be with us. He is a brave, courageous soul and he needs a new kidney. He's writing a book about the Doc and I sure would like to see him finish it. I would like to spend a lot more time at Saratoga with him, too.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
Bill V.
The egg man

Cheer up

hello dear friends

I could never write the words to express the feelings i am going through.
Ted is now and has always been, so kind, and supportive towards me, in all my ups and downs.
I wrote to him on Saturday I have not felt so sad and scared as I did that day.
Things really hit rock bottom when I was taken out of the room at Del Mar
in a wheelchair.
Being able to handicap with my dad and friends, amongst the crowd at any race track has always meant so much to me. I cherish the gifts I have taken in from so many brilliant teachers, Doc and Jim and Richie P
along with FTL and of course Ted, Each of them has given me such a lift and joy.
I was devastated when the guard came and said ' Bill we have to take you out of here, I could see in his eyes I probably look very bad.
I left my poor dad Brooks, along with all my buddies at the "table west"
wondering what just happens, I was fine and then just before race 2 at
Del Mar I turned to brooks and said, Dad I'm not feeling good at all.

I am in bad shape, but I have great doctors, They really do care for me.
I have a great group of nurses and staff at dialysis, and the hospital
is always so caring, I really am lucky. I have great support a care from my Dad and sister and a great brother and family

I spoke to my kidney doctor today, He told me I'm doing well,
He said not to get down, The process of getting a transplant is long.
I don't even know if I am eligible yet. I just have to take my pills and keep visiting the doctors, get lots of rest and eat very carefully stay on my strict diet.

I will keep going, I have been given so much to live for
I know I will be good, and strong

Thank you all for your caring and support

"May the 4 horse be with you"

" Hey Aline come in here and meet Bill from Jersey, He is alright",

Me." Hi my name is Bil, I was wondering, "can you help me ?"
Richie P. "Of course Sit down, whats wrong"

Love
Bill

Last edited by Bill V.; 11-12-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #10
shoeless
Grade 1

Bill

Hoping all the best for you and that you feel better soon.

Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote