Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion > Speculator
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Speculator Speculator - FAQs, Technical Support, Examples, etc

Old 11-19-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
BJennet
Grade 1

Ted - Speculator error message problem

Hi Ted,

Sorry to bother you about this software glitch, but after trying to deal with it for awhile myself, I decided to check with you. This is a problem you've dealt with in the Spec FAQ - error message DBFNTX./1012. I've tried the solution you suggested there - copying the zipped files into a new folder (at least as far as I understand) but have had no luck in eliminating the problem. Any help appreciated.

BTW, I looked for a Spec to post this, but couldn't find it.

Cheers,

B Jennet
BJennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

B Jennet,

I'll move this back to the Speculator Forum.

The absolutely simplest solution is to make your computer as if Spec160 had never been installed there, then install it anew.

Try this - rename your existing SPEC160 folder to something else (e.g. SPEC160-PREVIOUS) then create a new, empty SPEC160 folder and extract the files from the distribution ZIP file to this new, clean SPEC160 folder.

Now - downloaded TrackMaster files for Spec get stored in C:\TRKMAST folder. Either clean out any files from C:\TRKMAST which are not data-type files (e.g. AQU1119r.EXE) - this would include any files with DBF extensions, or simply rename this C:\TRKMAST folder to something else (e.g. TRKMAST-PREVIOUS) and create a new, empty TRKMAST folder on your C: drive.

Both of the above suggestions effectively create a new, clean SPEC environment on your computer (with the previous one saved, for reference), and SPEC160 should work again normally.

Let me know if it does.

yours,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
BJennet
Grade 1

Thanks, Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
B Jennet,

I'll move this back to the Speculator Forum.

The absolutely simplest solution is to make your computer as if Spec160 had never been installed there, then install it anew.

Try this - rename your existing SPEC160 folder to something else (e.g. SPEC160-PREVIOUS) then create a new, empty SPEC160 folder and extract the files from the distribution ZIP file to this new, clean SPEC160 folder.

Now - downloaded TrackMaster files for Spec get stored in C:\TRKMAST folder. Either clean out any files from C:\TRKMAST which are not data-type files (e.g. AQU1119r.EXE) - this would include any files with DBF extensions, or simply rename this C:\TRKMAST folder to something else (e.g. TRKMAST-PREVIOUS) and create a new, empty TRKMAST folder on your C: drive.

Both of the above suggestions effectively create a new, clean SPEC environment on your computer (with the previous one saved, for reference), and SPEC160 should work again normally.

Let me know if it does.

yours,

Ted
Hi Ted,

This seems to have worked well, but given my dubious computer skills, I always feel like I should keep my fingers crossed. As I said, I had tried this already, but without previously removing non-exe files from the Trackmaster folder, as you suggested. Much thanks for your assistance, as always.

Cheers,

B Jennet
BJennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
PinoyJoe
Journeyman

Spec problem

Hi Ted.. First thank you for the clean copy. I omitted that I am using
the program on windows vista operating system. The same problem is
occuring and truly has me going in circles.

I made a clean Spec directory and downloaded the program.
My Trackmaster directory "TRKMAST" is clean. Extracted the zip file
and tried to run the program with the same problem occurring. It's
a mystery to me.

Joe
PinoyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Joe, I too have Vista and Spec160 on one computer and tried your sequence just now: the F3 key shows Perceptor numbers as expected. And Esc takes me to Calculations and all Ratings and Graphs screens as expected. So, nothing abnormal for me. Have you successfully been using Spec160 on this Vista computer up until just now? Are you SURE the Spec160 folder is a new one, and clean? Can you think of something you installed on your computer, or some change you made since you last successfully used Spec160? Did you start using a new monitor? Or install a new graphics card? Did Vista update itself recently? Mine did last night (May 14). if you 'roll-back' your Windows to a previous 'check-point' before a date where you KNOW you successfully used Spec160, perhaps that will help. Try these and get back to me. We can connect by TeamViewer and attempt to trouble-shoot, if you like. Ted

R
DSS -
Old 05-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
PinoyJoe
Journeyman

I have had a number of updates to vista since I stopped using Spec160. It had always worked fine. No hardware changes. I wanted to evaluate a few races using spec and got this surprise. When doing more than 2 tracks I need to use a computer, when you pass 70 things seem to take longer in my case. I can use Validator so my work proceeds as I supplement a small SS check from the track. I will see what I can do and report back on what I find.

Thank you for your help Ted it is much appreceated.

Joe
PinoyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Joe,

Congratulations on passing 70! I look forward to that one day myself (not too soon, though ...).

Re Spec160 - bizarre why a fresh install on an updated Vista computer would present any problems. I'm pretty confident I could help solve the problem for you, if ever you decided we should connect computers. The process is really simple. Just email me if ever you decide you want to do that.

Until then - good luck with Validator and the Match Up!

cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 10-14-2019, 09:48 PM   #8
pilot
Grade 2

Hi, I am trying to load a race file into Speculator. The message says No Files Have Been Downloaded for 10-13-2019.

I placed the data file in the trkmast directory.

Any help help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Wayne
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Speculator, as with Validator, looks for TrackMaster data files on a fixed folder named c:\trkmast. If you're exporting those files from RDSS, that's the default export folder used.

If you're running Spec in DOS, or in Windows XP (or some normal environment which can run natively those older DOS programs), you likely have Spec installed in folder c:\spec160 (or whatever flavour of Speculator you use). In this case, you can just look in folder c:\trkmast to see if you indeed have the file there which you are telling Speculator to look for. If the card file is not there, put it there

If however, you are using a DOS emulation environment environment like Dosbox, perhaps running in Windows 10 (which if you are BTW, would have been nice to mention) -- then typically you 'mount' your local Speculator folder (say, c:\spec160) as a Drive volume. For example, in Dosbox: mount c: c:\spec160. Now you address Speculator as being in the root folder of Drive C within Dosbox.

HOWEVER - in this setup, since Speculator looks for TrackMaster data files in c:\trkmast, you must actually place your TrackMaster data files in the folder c:\spec160\trkmast, which to Speculator running in Dosbox Drive C, will look like c:\trkmast.

Ta da!

If Dosbox is not involved, well - try to double check you are specifying the correct folder location and card files you thought you did. That's all I got, so far.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 10-18-2019, 11:32 PM   #10
pilot
Grade 2

Ted, thank you for the advice, I still cannot get it work. I will keep trying.

I am using windows 10 with dosbox.

Wayne
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote