Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 05-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
mesquitedavid
AlwNW2X

Seeking Suggestions

The following are the horses I picked after analysis. I tried to upload the pages so you could follow my logic. The race was #1 @ Aqu in April 2013 from sample data base.
Segments 4 1A 1 2
TRP/EL 4 has best late energy
BL/BL 4 best hidden energy 1 is 2nd.
Energy 1 best total energy 6 pops up close on several screens
best TTP 1 then 2

bet 4126 final choices $2 on 4 and 1 to win.

results 6 7 1 3 scratched 2
mesquitedavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
mesquitedavid
AlwNW2X

When I pressed attachment arrow nothing happened. Is there a way to turn it on?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Bill V.
The egg man

lines

Hi Thanks for trying to do a race .. The good thing is you tried and your asking
for help This race is a problem so ...

As far as the race ... The only way I get the 6 is to go back 250 days
to the Monmouth line

line 1 -2 -3 or 4 all rate the 6 last
I am not going to use line 5 so I would have lost
too

Name:  notaprogram.PNG
Views: 752
Size:  192.8 KB

Name:  Poppa.PNG
Views: 790
Size:  106.2 KB

Name:  sample lines.PNG
Views: 779
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  line5does it.PNG
Views: 793
Size:  48.7 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
mesquitedavid
AlwNW2X

I switched from IE to Google and attachment button works.

Name:  R4 Analys.PNG
Views: 788
Size:  67.2 KB
Old 05-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Bill V.
The egg man

Noise

Hi

Thanks for posting the screen shot

Pace line and contenders are so important...
I see you used line 5 too
The issue then becomes is that really the correct line
How about some of the route horses, Can they run to the projected
pace of the race ? How about the final odds
Is the 1 horse a true favorite or could you make a case to bet against it

Also answer this question honestly bet it and forget it if you can afford to
but if not its understandable too

Just my opinion

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
mesquitedavid
AlwNW2X

In the workout tab under Workout Form Patterns what does -FPD -SRW HWL1 SWG
mean?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
Ted Craven
Grade 1

David,

Please try the RDSS2 FAQs, or Google Site Search - it knows everything (link found at left edge of top menu bar).

For example search for 'Workout Form Patterns'.

Discussion here: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8667

I also just added the main documentation for this to the FAQ section: www.rdss2.com/faq (here: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=13)

Thanks David for raising this question!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 05-23-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added new link to FAQs
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

David, further to your original question and example race cited above, while learning the ideas of the Sartin Methodology using RDSS, may I strongly suggest you begin with using the suggested pacline selections given by the Paceline Selection Strategy tool (the Best of Last 3 Perceptor default option).

This will almost ALWAYS have you using one of the last 3 lines (excepting unratable lines in the last 3) and will emphacize recent performance rather than what the horse may have once done and then guess at whether it can perform that way again today.

But more important - it will save you from GUESSING whether the win you got in the current race was the result of your 'zigging and zagging' (e.g. choosing lines from different stages of a horse's history, or picking one over the other for one reason in one race but a different reason in the next race) - or if the win was a result of a consistently applicable strategy.

It's fine to wonder if you could have done something obvious to get such a nice winner as you showed above, and whether going back for a previous best effort was a 'secret' you needed to discover (i.e. something you might be in the process of discovering about how RDSS works). But please know that you stand to lose 40- 50% or so of your wagers, depending on your wagering strategy (i.e. 2 horses, minimum net odds, which pools) - so when you lose by applying a consistent strategy which, over 20 to 40 race sets gets you valid contenders who win the other 50 - 60% of the time - this is the natural order of the universe!

You just need to know and appreciate the larger context of applying your tools repeatedly to potentially promising scenarios (like this one above) - and deciding when you have to be in the game (or perhaps, when to 'ante-up') to see if your methods fire in the current race. You will also develop the feel as to when to stay out of races, perhaps because they are too chaotic for your tastes, or the likely winners too well known and poorly priced.

And you will also get that type of decision (to stay out) wrong sometimes too. Taking risk (betting) in the face of uncertainty (probabilistic, not definitive analysis info) is the heart of this game (perhaps also the game of life) and each of our personalities and past experiences determine our affinity for how much risk we're comfortable with relative to how much reward we want yet how much uncertainty we fear.

It can certainly be debated whether, at the odds, the #6 stood to to improve after its layoff and not bad 1st call effort last out, compared to how poorly the heavy favourite #1 fared in its last 2 performances and how equivocal the recent router #7 (though previous proven sprinter) has performed recently (both of whom combined owned more than half the Win betting pool). That is precisely the crux of one's own personal risk/reward/uncertainty/temperament calculation!

In summary, may I recommend you stick with the basics of paceline selection and recency, though not slavish adherence to the last line (I know of many experienced RDSS users who almost never modify the auto-selected pacelines) until you gather records about how your decisions have fared with the basics. Doing this will help you stay around past the basics period, to enjoy greater understanding and mastery of the tools - as opposed to getting frustrated and discouraged and abandoning the work you have already done before the good stuff gets rolling (not suggesting you are thinking of doing that!),

Good luck, good (growing) skill!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:53 AM   #9
mesquitedavid
AlwNW2X

Thanks for the encouraging words. I don't have any intention of giving up. This is the hobby I have needed. I am retired and watching tv all the time drives a person crazy. Thanks to you and Bill for the help in getting me going.
Dave