Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
partsnut
BetMix User

A Lesson Well Learned

After accumulating 45 winners out of 121 races at the Meadowlandswhich amounts to a touch better then 37%. One card was cancelled where I had the winner in the 1st contest race.This race was dis-allowed because the other 2 races were cancelled.This was in accordance to the contest rules.I realized by the money I accumulated, that my ROI was not as high as I would want it to be.So it told me, as I already knew, that betting favorites is not the best way to travel. This might have been due to a multitude of scratches which forced many low priced payoffs.The lesson to be learned here is not how many winners you can get (with the exception of this particular contest) but how much money you end up making. In real time, prudent and versed players will only bet value races they can win. Your hit ratio will be less but your profit will be higher.Your run-outs for the most part will be higher as well. So discipline and patience is the first order of the day.Randy Giles of PaceAppraiser has a good basic guideline pertaining to betting.
E, EP = 5/2 odds or better at post time.
P = 4-1 odds or better at post time.
PC,C = 5-1 odds or better at post time.
This is the basic guideline but in certain situations you might look for even higher odds.
If you can't get the value, Pass the race.
This game is all about the money.

Last edited by partsnut; 11-18-2008 at 01:27 PM.
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Rverge
Grade 1

Thumbs up

couldn't have said any better Parts. how true!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Vinnie
Grade 1

Parts:

A superb post. I need to read such things at times because the Lord only knows that my biggest problem that I encounter when I am struggling at the oval often enough is me "myself".

Once again, excellent post.

Vinnie
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
partsnut
BetMix User

Thanks Reverge and Vinny for the kind words.

Most of us are good handicappers. We should use this knowledge to our best advantage with a disciplined method and solid betting plan. Learn to have patience.
Wait for the races that offer you opportunity and where you find a pace advantage. It's just like shopping for a new home or playing the stock market. Recognize the value and buy at the best price. It's a buyers market.
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote