Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 09-14-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
Turbulator
Grade 1

Who is Your Favorite Horse of All-Time

"Jon White knows a lot about racing. He's passionate about the game. Don't believe it? Go ahead, ask him a question. It's 3-5 he'll not only know the answer but why you asked the question.

Q. Who is your favorite horse of all time?

A. Turbulator, who in 2004 was voted into the Washington State Racing Hall of Fame, joining Chinook Pass, Trooper Seven, Captain Condo and Saratoga Passage. My license plate even reads TURBLTR. Before he ever raced, Turbulator injured a knee on a farm, which caused his owner to try and trade him to a neighbor for two cows. The neighbor looked at the knee and said no thanks. Therapy on the injured knee with a whirlpool-like device called a turbulator was how the horse got his name. It's also how he got his nickname, Tubby..."

Read the entire article here

Turbulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

The Philly Horse

A. Smaty Jones

Philadelphia's Champion
For years it was a novelty when a horse shipped from Philly
up to Belmont Aqu, and Saratoga
I never wagered these tracks but I was always looking for
"philly horses" and wished maybe they could win

I really got into Smarty mania just before the Arkansan derby

When he won My dad sent me an email. It was real cool
cause I didn't think at that time my dad cared anything about me

The next couple of months were a time in my life were
I really was happy The triple crown run was a dream
I was at philly park when he lost to Birdstone
in the Belmont I had to be in the little white building were
on Nov 9 2003 he won his maiden race It was Philly Park and I got to see
a dream
Go Smarty Go
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
clore1030
Grade 1

Favorite horse

Mine is the one in my avatar - Forego. When he beat Honest Pleasure in the 1976 Marlboro, carrying 137 and conceding 18 pounds, the crowd at Belmont went wild. Coming off the turn wide, and about 7 or 8 lengths behind, he looked to be hopelessly beaten. But he was resolute and it's one race that i can watch over and over and still get a lump in my throat. Watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMJjiWXCM3s

Will we ever see the likes of this again:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/T...98/forego.html
clore1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
mikesal57
Grade 1

Its got to be ...JOHN HENRY

The $1100 yearling purchase thrilled me till the ripe age of 9...making his mark as a workmanlike racehorse who earned money in minor stakes, allowance races, and mid-level claiming races. he had 39 win in 83 starts through his career and when he hit the turf his brilliance blossomed . How many times did we watch the stretch calls when we thought that he had lost , only to come back and win by the smallest of margins .he was one of the greatest horses I watched for many years, how many can even run that long now...
Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
clore1030
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
Its got to be ...JOHN HENRY

The $1100 yearling purchase thrilled me till the ripe age of 9...making his mark as a workmanlike racehorse who earned money in minor stakes, allowance races, and mid-level claiming races. he had 39 win in 83 starts through his career and when he hit the turf his brilliance blossomed . How many times did we watch the stretch calls when we thought that he had lost , only to come back and win by the smallest of margins .he was one of the greatest horses I watched for many years, how many can even run that long now...
I remember his first turf race in a medium level claimer at Belmont which he won by daylight. Before he had come to NY, he didn't have much of a record and in his first start here (a dirt claimer) he paid about 50 dollars. The public would never get anywhere near that kind of money on him ever again.

Being a gelding, there was nothing else for him to do but run as long as he was holding up, and he held up well for years.
clore1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbulator View Post
A. Turbulator, who in 2004 was voted into the Washington State Racing Hall of Fame, joining Chinook Pass, Trooper Seven, Captain Condo and Saratoga Passage. My license plate even reads TURBLTR. Before he ever raced, Turbulator injured a knee on a farm, which caused his owner to try and trade him to a neighbor for two cows. The neighbor looked at the knee and said no thanks. Therapy on the injured knee with a whirlpool-like device called a turbulator was how the horse got his name. It's also how he got his nickname, Tubby..."
Saw all those guys run,,,and will post the photo of Trooper Seven (Baze up) the day they retired him.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Tim Y
turf historian

Hardly an original choice but being in a class by oneself, there is only one at the top (at least in this part of the century as Exterminator would be the one from way back) Penny Tweedy's little fellow shown here cribbing at Claiborne on Bill's birthday 1985.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
Tim Y
turf historian

Honorable mentions: Forego the most adaptable first class weight carrying dominant figure of his day. I began to really appreciate him the more I learned of Exterminator (the MONSTER of distance racing) and the parallels between them. Would really have given Red a run, may not of have won it, when both were 4. This amazing gelding set a track record at 7 furlongs (Carter) and then two weeks later under 136 just missed in the MET Mile, then versus the best won the Brooklyn, Suburban, Marlboro (2nd) Woodward under top weights: all above 135. Then he repeated the Handicap series dominance the next year.

Miesque: No more dominating a performance than her crushing the best grass milers in the world TWO years in a row. Here she is at Hollywood all alone.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Y; 09-14-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Alydar

http://www.hitak.com/home/alydar/
Attached Images

alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydar_David View Post
This one reminds me a lot of Sham, came along the wrong year.