Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
alydar_ David
Grade 1

New Laptop

I'm considering getting a new laptop, even though I've got three of them that still work. I'd just as soon not go crazy like I did years ago when I bought a $6,600 Dell with Windows 95. That's still my favorite computer, but I only use it for dust collecting.

I'm a Dell fan, but I'm flexible.

What I'm looking for is something that will work well with RDSS. Windows 7 and 64 bit is probably a gimme. Maybe something in the $800 to $1,000 range? It has to be a laptop, not a desktop.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
JimG
Grade 1

Hi David,

If you use any older software, be sure to get the Professional version of Windows 7 and not the Home version. The Professional version has an XP option according to what I have read.

I suspect your older laptops might be more current than my existing computers. LOL

Jim
Old 04-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Rverge
Grade 1

i like my sony vaio
Old 04-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Thanks, guys.

There are so many options and ways to customize a laptop it's making my head spin.

For example, look at the Dell Studio 15:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...advisor_Center

It's got a base price of $799, but it came to well over $2000 by the time I finished selecting options.

I don't know the difference between processors. It's not like the old days when the biggest choice you had was AMD or Intel. I'm not sure what I'm going to need to run version 2.0 efficiently.

Even the operating system is perplexing. What does Ultimate do that Professional doesn't? They don't tell you.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

David,

I think Windows 7 Home Premium is sufficient for mostly anything. Here is a comparison between Professional and Ultimate:
http://www.intowindows.com/differenc...mate-editions/

I notice Dell don't even offer a 32 bit Windows version - 64 bit all the way, and RDSS runs sweetly on Win7 and Vista 64 bit! That base computer certainly has everything you'd need to run RDSS now and in the future. Any problems that RDSS has now with memory is not the fault of insufficient hardware - it's the software's own internal memory intensiveness, and Version 2.0 seems to have solved that.

I'd recommend you check out the screen resolution(s) available from whatever video card (chip) you choose: it really is convenient and using the full potential to display the Analysis screens as a 3rd panel at the bottom of the screen and for that you need 1024 or 1050 vertical pixels (as in 1280 x 1024 or 1600 x 1050). There will be a few more screen layout options in 2.0, for example displaying full page Analysis screens side-by-side with horses' PPs so displays like 1440 x 800 can show 2 PP panels with Analysis on the side. But the option of more screen height gvies you moe, well, options. RDSS 2.0 on a 1600 x 1050 resolution 24" monitor looks gorgeous, and lots of screen width for everything you could hope to display.

The only thing I can think of is software like MS Office. If you want to splurge, get more memory. And make sure you get an external USB backup drive - they're dirt cheap. Then use it - daily!

I've owned Dell laptops for years and run 2 of them now. When I buy one, I get the top of the line and try to push it for 4 years. After 2 years, it's middle of the road and after 4 years its low end.

Any other specifics I can help with, just let me know!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 04-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Houndog
Grade 1

Toshiba

David this is probably more than you want. A huge screen and discrete graphics but weighs over 9 pounds.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=460550
Old 04-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Profiler8
Grade 1

Dell Computers are the best ! :-)

My next computer (laptop) will be a Dell as well. Our company, where I work Dell is everywhere now. No problems so far. Dell is expensive, the service and quality is by far the best. That cost money.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I'm actually getting a small netbook, Win7, 11" screen in the next few weeks for testing RDSS 2.0 on, so that's the opposite end to what's discussed above. These things are proliferating and I'm also getting tired of lugging my big (15") notebook to the track and swapping batteries.

As soon as the dust settles (literally, construction dust...)

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 04-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
Bill P
AlwNW1X

FWIW, I recently built a desktop computer and used Windows 7 Pro. I love it. You can purchase an OEM version of Windows 7 Pro in either 32 or 64 bit versions for around $139. The Home verion runs $109. The caveat is that you get zero support from MS if you have problems.

It loaded to both of my systems with zero issues. The Pro version supports Windows XP as well if that's important. I don't believe the the Home version does.

Also, look at the MS Office Home and Student edition. It includes full blown Word, Excel, and Powerpoint for around $130.

Try Newegg or Micro Center for current prices.

Bill

Last edited by Bill P; 04-27-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Ted, thanks for the link indicating the difference between the Professional and Ultimate versions. And it’s great to know exactly what I’ll need to run RDSS version 2.0 seamlessly. I never would have thought too much about the display options. So, that’s a big help as well. I already have an external, portable, USB hard drive and I agree; it’s great. I’m weary of getting Office 2007 as I’ve been using Office 2000 for years and still haven’t tapped its full potential.

Houndog, I checked out that Toshiba and read all the reviews. I also poked around the site and checked out the pre-configured as well as customizable models. I’m giving the Toshiba serious consideration. Incidentally, I learned from those reviews that if you're going to buy a Toshiba get it directly from the source so you don't run into warranty problems when you purchase from a place like Best Buy.

Profiler8, I like Dells too. I’m kind of rough of them. So, I always go for the maximum warranty. I’ve gone through three hard drives under warranty (on different machines) and have never waited more than three days for a free replacement. That’s service.

Bill P, thanks for the Newegg and Micro Center tips.

Today I’m going to hit CompUSA and Best Buy and see what’s happening there.