Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 06-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

R.I.P. 'For The Lead'

Sadly, I received an email yesterday from the wife of our friend For the Lead, telling me he had passed away on March 9 of this year at the age of 74. As many of you will know, he had been in declining health for a couple of years now. I received no other information about his passing.

Name:  Bud.Kanz.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  2.2 KB

Clifford (Bud) Kanz, known here as 'For the Lead' undertook to teach the principles of the early Sartin Methodology in numerous literate, erudite and illustrated posts since 2008. He posted primarily in what became the Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 Forum describing time-tested principles, concepts and using examples from Energy and RDSS. He did not use RDSS for his handicapping, but asked if he could use it for teaching and demonstration purposes. He had developed his own software using TrackMaster data over many years, based on Sartin/Brohamer and other of his own observations and discoveries.

Bill Lyster made a labour-of-love compilation of those teachings which are located in the Library here ("For The Lead" Approach to Handicapping – from Brohamer to Sartin and beyond …). Well worth digesting. Bill L also stayed in contact with Bud over a number of years, and perhaps has more information to add.

Bill Varone also was a friend of Bud's and the 2 of them stayed in close touch, comparing handicapping notes and thoughts about life in general.

Condolences to his family. Rest in Peace For The Lead and thanks for being part of our community.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 06-16-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Admittedly, I did not know Bud very well. We communicated mostly via email and an occasional phone call.

Being a numbers guy and having done a lot of research I could use a lot of what Bud had developed. Sadly, not all of what Bud discovered in his handicapping journey was shared with us and as much as I prodded him to write a book and further explain his process, he politely refused to do so. In my opinion a great loss to all of us.

There are hundreds of pages with examples of Bud's ideas and work that he shared over the years. I hope you all get a chance to read and absorb some of his many discoveries.

Bill
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
Lefty
Grade 1

FTL, I didn't know him, but I do know of his contributions to his board. I will miss him.
Walk with God.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
shoeless
Grade 1

Very sorry to hear about the passing of FTL , I really enjoyed his posts and learned a lot
from him especially about using Energy. He will be missed.

Last edited by shoeless; 06-16-2020 at 06:31 PM.
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #5
Rverge
Grade 1

sorry to read my condolences
Old 06-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #6
MJS6916
Grade 1

I'm sorry to hear about FTL.

My condolences to all; especially his family.

Mike

http://sartinmethodology.com/pubs/RD...d_Glossary.pdf
MJS6916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:56 AM   #7
darmar
Grade 1

Always shakes to my core when I find out that of the early members of this wonderful family we have here goes to the Promised Land to join the others who we so dearly cared about. I believe with all my heart and soul that another place has been set for you at the table FTL and that you will now be pain free in the light of our father in heaven.
Darryl
darmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
CheckMark
Conley

RIP Clifford/ For The Lead
Old 06-18-2020, 06:17 AM   #9
RichieP
Grade 1

R.I.P. and condolences to his family and friends. Thank you for taking the time you did here to share your methods
Old 06-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
dlivery
Grade 1

For The Lead

We have lost a formidable member of our community.
For The Lead impacted the lives of so many people.
Many have been Blessed for sharing F T L approach to Handicapping has given more results I could ever imagine.
Rest in Peace