Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 08-03-2017, 01:21 PM   #1
delayjf
Grade 3

Matching Turf Races

Benn looking but find anything regarding how The Hat matched up turf races. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

Hi

Just from my memory He had the same criteria
Do his 5 step approach,
"One horse goes to the lead, It either holds on and wins or another horse passes it, and wins"

He seemed to do really well in turf races, In his Match Up 2 book, a good deal of his example races are turf races.

One of the better-paying races we both hit when I went with Jim to the OTB
was a turf race at Laurel Park. I worked on it for a half hour, Jim did the race
in seconds, The winner paid like $17

He had it in a pick 3 ticket he structured the ticket in a few minutes
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
delayjf
Grade 3

Thanks Bill,

Wish I could find his book - they are rare.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:20 AM   #4
Mark
Grade 1

Turf racing

To my knowledge Jim Bradshaw did not alter his approach from dirt to turf. As with any race he determined if a horse could go gate to wire. If he eliminated that possibility He sought "the horse closest to the leader positionally, factoring in the pace of race". You had to account for every horses' position at the 1st call with Es and Ps taking up those positions. Finding the horse that showed he could lay behind these runners and through paceline analysis determine which horse could close from that position via a POWER MOVE. Jim bet fast horses but that didn't always mean that the only fast horses were in the lead. Due to early pace and contention, given the projected pace, some horses became fastest at the appropriate time in the race. They showed the ability to pass multiple horses in a single pace segment, 1c -2c and/or 2c -sc. He didn't count moves from the sc to finish as POWER MOVES. In this way, he may determine that based on his pace projection that the likely win contenders would be SP or S horses and he would chose the one that was closest to the leader. I don't think this is understood by most. Jim determined what Running style would win the race and then found the best of those via the Match Up. He was quoted as saying that today's race has been run many times before, the horses' names have just changed today. He was a huge proponent of Pattern Recognition and the use of his subconscious mind to direct him.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
RichieP
Grade 1

Grass Racing

Bill and Mark are spot on with their posts.

Jim worked all races the same regardless of surface. Jim had me use grass races only to match with at the beginning then after about a year had me also include poly races WHEN the horse being looked at had some kind of liking for the grass surface OR was first time grass with poly lines showing.. If it failed all the time on grass then NO poly lines but if a horse was 1st time grass then YES consider poly lines.

Races of all distances are worked the same with the exception of his "Marathon Races" which Bill L has really taken the ball and run with.

You do NOT need his book to get the concepts it is all here in his Hat Check forum starting with the 5 step approach. It is exact same as in the book.

Richie
Old 09-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
MikeB
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
You do NOT need his book to get the concepts it is all here in his Hat Check forum starting with the 5 step approach. It is exact same as in the book.

Richie
I agree. I have the book, and while it is always useful to see the same information presented in different ways, it is all here at Pace and Cap.

If anyone wants more of The Matchup, go here:

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10121
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote