Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 01-30-2018, 08:17 AM   #11
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
Thanks Ted I'm checking out all possibilities!

I'm definitely checking out the Parallels using the IPad now.
Rich - Mac, not iPad

Though, for the full mobile experience, you CAN use an iPad with a Parallels tool on it to connect remotely over the internet to your Mac or PC running RDSS in Windows. Pook had such a setup in Saratoga last year. If you have a decent internet connection - it looks like you're running RDSS on an iPad, though you're not - only connecting to another computer which IS running it.

Just like you can run Remote Desktop on any OS (Windows, Mac, iPad, Android, Linux) to connect to RDSS (or other programs) running on a cloud server.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 01-30-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #12
Bill S
AlwNW3X

In the long run IMO it's probably easier just to get a windows based tablet. All the emulator/remote stuff works but the more complicated you make the plumbing the easier it is to clog the sink. I always used the emulator on a desktop Mac. I don't even know the dynamics of putting it on an iPad.

If Rich is thinking of investing in an iMac he will be very pleased with it.
I originally got into Macs for my other hobby of digital nature photography and slowly I morphed into a total Apple person.

I have owned iPads in the past and they work great, but when it came to RDSS I wanted something solid, clean, and simple so I went to a windows based tablet. RDSS works real fast on my Surface Pro 4. I think it's because of the solid state drive. Cards load and assemble like lightning.
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:22 AM   #13
RichieP
Grade 1

Guys thank you so much for all your help!!!!

Old 02-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #14
Jeebs
Grade 1

Probably not an option, but v2cloud.com has a service where you can rent a Windows Server 2016 setup for $40/month. That with the Remote Desktop iPad app work harmoniously. Downside is cost and the fact that you need an internet connection at all times. Before my current laptop, I would use that service.

Also, remoting to your home computer is also an option with the Remote Desktop app. I can run my laptop from my iPad or phone no problem. It would require what's called a Dynamic DNS (free) and port forwarding from your router. A Google or YouTube search explains it all.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #15
The Pook
Grade 1

Hi Rich,

I am all Apple. Always have been. Since I have been using RDSS it has been only through Parallels Desktop on a Mac Mini. I run an ancient copy of Windows XP which works great. I can get away with XP because I only use Parallels Desktop to run RDSS so I have none of the security issues I would have if XP was my main operating system on a PC. You can’t get into a Mac through the back door of an emulator. I had an old copy of it so no need to cough up for a new Windows operating system.

I wanted to run RDSS on a tablet without venturing into the PC world in which I am less comfortable. Parallels Remote allows this. From my IPad 2 I run RDSS in the Parallels Desktop that is on the Mac Mini. It works as long as I have a good Wifi connection. My IPad also has cellular and I could use that, but from some experimenting I did I found that the data transfer can add up pretty quickly and depending on your cellular plan could get expensive.

Like Ted mentioned I used it at Saratoga last summer with NYRA’s free wifi and had no issues. The same when I am at Woodbine using their wifi. Another little bonus is being able to use RDSS on my IPad anywhere in the house. I don’t have to be in the office all the time and not just RDSS but anything else you use your computer for. There are some little things you have to get used to with touch-screen but it takes no time.

So if you have an opportunity to score an IPad Pro which is the creme de la creme for everything including battery life you won’t be disappointed. If you don’t have a Mac computer to connect to remotely you would just run Parallels Remote on your PC. Same result.

A lot of options but if you want to be in the Mac world on a tablet this is the way to do it. RDSS on a full sized IPad Pro? Wow!

Pook

PS...I have the cellular IPad model to stay in touch when I am away from free Wifi. But I choose not to have a cell phone. I can’t imagine that you would need that much if you own a smart phone. You would save a couple of hundred bucks or more by not having it.

Last edited by The Pook; 02-06-2018 at 07:24 PM.
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #16
mick
Abiding Student

Pook,

I enjoyed your post. All my "Mac" friends are true believers and most just roll their eyes at Windows.

Someone sent me a Pizzolla "rant" recently and he was running his Windows-based VC software on a Mac, much like you run RDSS.

I live in a Linux world most of the time and dual-boot into Windows only to run RDSS. I know that Windows 10 is sending all of my personal information back to Microsoft but all they're getting in horse racing stuff. I wonder what their data-miners will make of that.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #17
gandalf380
Grade 1

microsoft surface pro

if anyone is interested, n1wireless.com is having a pretty decent sale on microsoft surface pro 3 and 4
Old 02-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #18
Mitch44
Grade 1

Mick:
With the names of horses they'll think you have lots of weird friends. ha ha ha
Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #19
Old Arkie Gal
Grade 1

Computers and Programs:Question for Ted

I will be receiving a new Dell soon. Office Pro will be on it for about a month. I currently use the 2010 Home Edition of Office. After shelling out all the money on a new computer, I am reluctant t to spend more on the newer Office Home edition. I have used Open Office in the past and wonder if I can use it for the modeling portion of RDSS?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Pat
Old Arkie Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #20
jms62
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
I have a chance to score a new IPad pro 10.5, I have no clue about technology what these things do

I'm assuming it can run RDSS, does anyone have any experience on the screen size and what RDSS looks like on it?

Is the 64 storage on the base model enough or do I need more? I wouldn't be doing business stuff on it just a lot of photos, streaming races, storing RDSS data files etc

I see they offer 2 models with 1 showing wifi and the other wifi+cellular. Not sure what to go with, is the wifi only one something I can only use here at my homes wifi connection?

Thanx so much in advance for any help I really have no idea
Hi Rich. I have been using my IPAD to remotely access RDSS for sometime now. I have an app installed on my IPAD called Splashtop Remote and installed Splashtop Streamer on my home PC.. As long as I my IPAD is connected to the Internet I can access RDSS at home. It is pretty fast too but that would depend on your Internet connection (Home and IPAD connection).

*** In Edit
I didn't see Ted's response which is the same thing but a different product.

Last edited by jms62; 02-20-2018 at 11:34 AM.
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote