Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 06-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
stugots119
AlwNW3X

Wagers

Good morning everyone,

I was wondering what is everyone's wagering preference. I know you should be wagering mostly Win and Place but does anyone play more Exacta, Trifecta's, pick 3's?? Yesterday for example I would have won a couple nice Exacta and Trifectas if I boxed my top 4 horses! Instead I just played WPS and a Exacta with my top 2 horses which made me some money I know money management is very important but when Belmont day comes along it isn't easy not wagering on every race and boxing 4 horses every race lol... I would appreciate any advice. Thanks JS
stugots119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
The Pook
Grade 1

stugots,

When I am rarely at the track I play exactas every race for two tracks. The live one and a simulcast one. If I have gone to the trouble of going, I have no patience for waiting around for the best opportunities and so am looking for action. Small partial wheels for fun. This gives me an opportunity at Woodbine to use up player points built up from betting online, to buy the best roast beef sandwiches around and just hang at the track like the old days. If I want a more relaxed experience with less figuring I bet WO only.

From home for long term profit, single horses to win only, on all tracks, which works out to an average of 5 plays a day.

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
Lt1
Grade 1

Hi Stu. Before you start down the ex,tri,p3s etc you must be proficient at getting the winner since there is no way to win exotics successfully without getting the winner in your mix. If you feel you have a good enough win % then by all means play some of the exotics. All of us fall victim to big racing days such as Belmont day looking for that big score. You must, however, resist the urge to bet every race on the card. There is nothing more frustrating then to hit a double digit winner and then give it back with losing exotic bets. I myself prefer daily doubles and pick 3s since I only need to get the winner in leg to win the bet which is a heck of a lot easier then getting several more horses to complete an exotic bets such as exs and tris.
Tim
Old 06-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
mick
Abiding Student

My chances of actually making money improve significantly when I stick with win bets and rolling doubles. Typically, I'll bet two horses to win when their odds total at least 6, e.g. 2-1 and 4-1. I bet the same amount on each horse and if I hit 50% of the races, I'll usually break even. If their odds total more than 6, I'll make money. Here's my original post >> http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11117

For rolling doubles, I bet different amounts depending on the horses' odds. Here are the formulas/grids I use >> http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11485

Illustrated Glossary

Last edited by mick; 06-04-2018 at 02:13 PM.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
stugots119
AlwNW3X

Thank you all for the advice. I really enjoy the WPS and Pick 3's but never even thought about the Daily Doubles for some reason. I will have to look into that.
stugots119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #6
Mitch44
Grade 1

Win and DD's are my money making preferences. I also will play P3 ,P4 provided I can get good connecting races. They become hard because the track always seem to throw in a chaos type race to mess up the sequence. You have to capitalize on what's there and avoid the pitfalls and booby traps they have planted for you.

In some Ex. plays, they could even be better than a DD for example, especially if its a MSW with many FTS in it as part of the DD. Overall a DD is better than an EX, but not in all cases.

Few assess or put in context the difficulty of the race it self or sequence of races. As a bettor this needs to be done. Also risk verses reward must be considered.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote