Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Houndog
Grade 1

BC 2009 European Imports

Just as last year the Europeans bring a strong contingent to compete in the BC races. On Friday’s races Henry Cecil who trains for Juddmonte Farms (Prince Khalid Abdullah) has a couple of strong entries. In the Filly and Mare Turf he has Midday and in the Turf Marathon he has Father Time . Henry Cecil is a legend in Europe but he rarely ships to the Breeders Cup. He has two horses entered on Friday and has a horse entered Saturday in the BC Classic with Twice Over. This is very unusual for him to ship 3 horses in the BC races.

Also on Friday in the Juvenile Fillies Turf Lillie Langtry trained by Aidan O’Brien (Owned by Magnier; Tabor; and Smith) on paper looks strong. I suspect all of these horses will get strong support at the windows.

On Saturday we have horses that I expect to be strongly bet and some Euro shippers that may be somewhat overlooked. Starting with the more obvious horses:

Breeders Cup Clasic: Rip Van Winkle trained by Aidan O’ Brian (Owned by Magnier ; Tabor; and Smith) could very well be the favorite over Zenyatta.

Possibly overlooked horses in this race are Twice Over (20-1 ML) and Regal Ransom (20-1 ML). I expect Regal Ransom to vie with Quality Road for the lead.

Twice Over who his Henry Cecil’s third horse entered is intriguing in that he could have entered in the Breeders Cup Turf at 1 1/2 miles but opted for this race instead. His connections felt that the distance for the turf was too long. Nothing wrong with his last race and he might even be on the improve.

Breeders Cup Turf: 1/2 miles. If Conduit doesn’t win I would be surprised if the other 2 Euros Dar Re Mi or Spanish Moon fail to win also.

Breeders Cup Mile (Turf) The obvious Euro horse Goldikova (8/5) is hard to fault. However this is not the only Euro horse with a chance. Delegator (Godolphin Stables/Sheik Mohammed, and Zacinto (Juddmonte Farms/Prince Khalid Abdullah) both have solid credentials.

Less obvious is Gladiatorus (20-1) also owned by Godolphin Stables. Earlier this year he was a top class performer. This horse skipped racing altogether in 2008. He likes to run on the lead and if approaches the form he had earlier this year and they let him get loose on the lead in my opinion he could be tough to catch.

Breeders Cup Dirt Mile: Mastercraftsman (6/5) trained by Aidan O’Brien has been getting some very good press and is a legitimate favorite.

Breeders Cup Juvenile : Of the Euro horses I prefer Beethoven (20-1) but I think this race will be taken by an American based horse.

Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf. Of the Euro horses I prefer Viscount Nelson (6-1) or Pounced (9/2).

Turf Sprint : Seems most of the European horses avoided this race because of the weird distance and the right turn. Of the 2 European horses entered I prefer Strike The Deal. This horse seems to have improved since Kiaran Fallon started riding him. This horse is breaking from post 12 and I have heard outside posts are preferred at this distance.

Breeders Cup Sprint: Only one European horse entered and a four year old filly at that. The horse is Fleeting Spirit trained by Jeremy Noseda and a change of riders from T.P. Queally to Frankie Dettori. The owners did not like the ride that Queally gave in the Prix de l’Abbaye de Longchamp where she was beaten only a neck after a slow start. T.P. Queally is said to be one of the rising stars in European racing so the change comes as somewhat as a surprise but perhaps the owners prefer the more experienced Dettori in this race. This horse has been compared to Lochsong who raced in the early nineties. Lochsong was 2 times sprinting champion of the year in Europe where the girls race against the boys all of the time. The horse is 8-1 ML so she does offer value.

Good Luck To All! – Houndog.

Last edited by Houndog; 11-04-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
jms62
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
Just as last year the Europeans bring a strong contingent to compete in the BC races. On Friday’s races Henry Cecil who trains for Juddmonte Farms (Prince Khalid Abdullah) has a couple of strong entries. In the Filly and Mare Turf he has Midday and in the Turf Marathon he has Father Time . Henry Cecil is a legend in Europe but he rarely ships to the Breeders Cup. He has two horses entered on Friday and has a horse entered Saturday in the BC Classic with Twice Over. This is very unusual for him to ship 3 horses in the BC races.

Also on Friday in the Juvenile Fillies Turf Lillie Langtry trained by Aidan O’Brien (Owned by Magnier; Tabor; and Smith) on paper looks strong. I suspect all of these horses will get strong support at the windows.

On Saturday we have horses that I expect to be strongly bet and some Euro shippers that may be somewhat overlooked. Starting with the more obvious horses:

Breeders Cup Clasic: Rip Van Winkle trained by Aidan O’ Brian (Owned by Magnier ; Tabor; and Smith) could very well be the favorite over Zenyatta.

Possibly overlooked horses in this race are Twice Over (20-1 ML) and Regal Ransom (20-1 ML). I expect Regal Ransom to vie with Quality Road for the lead.

Twice Over who his Henry Cecil’s third horse entered is intriguing in that he could have entered in the Breeders Cup Turf at 1 1/2 miles but opted for this race instead. His connections felt that the distance for the turf was too long. Nothing wrong with his last race and he might even be on the improve.

Breeders Cup Turf: 1/2 miles. If Conduit doesn’t win I would be surprised if the other 2 Euros Dar Re Mi or Spanish Moon fail to win also.

Breeders Cup Mile (Turf) The obvious Euro horse Goldikova (8/5) is hard to fault. However this is not the only Euro horse with a chance. Delegator (Godolphin Stables/Sheik Mohammed, and Zacinto (Juddmonte Farms/Prince Khalid Abdullah) both have solid credentials.

Less obvious is Gladiatorus (20-1) also owned by Godolphin Stables. Earlier this year he was a top class performer. This horse skipped racing altogether in 2008. He likes to run on the lead and if approaches the form he had earlier this year and they let him get loose on the lead in my opinion he could be tough to catch.

Breeders Cup Dirt Mile: Mastercraftsman (6/5) trained by Aidan O’Brien has been getting some very good press and is a legitimate favorite.

Breeders Cup Juvenile : Of the Euro horses I prefer Beethoven (20-1) but I think this race will be taken by an American based horse.

Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf. Of the Euro horses I prefer Viscount Nelson (6-1) or Pounced (9/2).

Turf Sprint : Seems most of the European horses avoided this race because of the weird distance and the right turn. Of the 2 European horses entered I prefer Strike The Deal. This horse seems to have improved since Kiaran Fallon started riding him. This horse is breaking from post 12 and I have heard outside posts are preferred at this distance.

Breeders Cup Sprint: Only one European horse entered and a four year old filly at that. The horse is Fleeting Spirit trained by Jeremy Noseda and a change of riders from T.P. Queally to Frankie Dettori. The owners did not like the ride that Queally gave in the Prix de l’Abbaye de Longchamp where she was beaten only a neck after a slow start. T.P. Queally is said to be one of the rising stars in European racing so the change comes as somewhat as a surprise but perhaps the owners prefer the more experienced Dettori in this race. This horse has been compared to Lochsong who raced in the early nineties. Lochsong was 2 times sprinting champion of the year in Europe where the girls race against the boys all of the time. The horse is 8-1 ML so she does offer value.

Good Luck To All! – Houndog.
Well thought out Dog... Thanks
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote